1. You will always be my best friend. There will be people who move in with us and share the bed with us. They’ll be a best friend too. But it doesn’t mean you’re replaced.
2. Just as you faithfully watch out for me and bark when people pass by our door, I’ll watch out for you. I’ll make sure you’re safe in the apartment and on the street, that you only swim where there’s no current, and that all the dangerous (but good smelling) food is tucked away from you.
3. I will never leave you at a kennel where no one knows who you are or what your needs are. If I need to leave and you cannot come with me I will make sure a trusted friend or family member will stay with you.
4. I will always snuggle you during thunderstorms when you get scared.
5. Just as you help me feel young by always wanting to play, I will make sure this feeling lasts as long as possible by taking you to the park, the lake, the dog park. As annoyed as I get the 500th time that day you push a tennis ball into my lap while I’m trying to work. I’ll remember that you need to play and make sure we do this a few times a day.
6. If my errand is in the neighborhood, you can ride along with me and stick your head out the window.
7. I will always make room on the couch for you.
8. We can always go on adventures together. I love hiking and that I never have to go alone. You’re always sniffing and running up the path ahead of me, making friends if there’s anyone else doing the same thing we are.
9. You can be the ring bearer at my wedding.
10. I will never replace you with children. If anything I will give you a bunch of new best friends who will adore you, pet you, and play with you until you’re tired for days.
11. I will never go on the boat without you. I know it’s your favorite thing in the world.
12. I won’t laugh at you while you play with your Kong, no matter how funny it is.
13. I love you. And I will NEVER make you watch Marley and Me with me.