1. If it’s really important, you shouldn’t be saying it via text message.
2. Be the same around your friends as you are around her — don’t change your whole persona from “boyfriend” to “tough guy who you really are inside.”
3. Say you love her when you know you do, because she is probably waiting for you to say it first.
4. It’s always a good time to say “I love you,” especially in those silly little moments that are totally un-romantic.
5. Make an effort to hang out with her friends at least sometimes. Try to have at least a few friends in common.
6. If you expect to receive, you should always give. This goes for everything.
7. She might disagree with your mom sometimes. And if you get in between that fight, you are the one who’s going to lose an eyeball.
8. Flowers don’t have to be for a special occasion. (In fact, they’re best when they are for no reason at all.)
9. Ice cream won’t fix anything, but it never hurts.
10. Never underestimate the power of a good morning text.
11. Don’t make fun of the shows/movies/music she likes. (And don’t let her make fun of yours.) If you respect her obsession with a corny wedding dress show, she’ll respect your obsession with UFC championships or whatever.
12. If she changed something about her appearance, she wants you to notice. Comment on it, because even just acknowledging that you pay enough attention to see small changes is huge.
13. The only person who can change her body is her, so don’t pressure her into looking a certain way. Be there to help and encourage, and to lead by example (if you want to), but not to pressure.
14. When fighting, stay on topic. Don’t fight dirty.
15. Dress like you give a damn, especially if she does. The pressure to look good isn’t entirely on her.
16. Learn how she takes her coffee and make it or pick it up from time to time. The way to a girl’s heart is through her perfectly-executed coffee.
17. Ask her how her day was, and really listen. Even if it’s only five minutes, it makes all the difference.
18. Watching a scary movie and cuddling under a blanket with a bowl of buttered popcorn is always a go-to perfect date.
19. Kiss her forehead.
20. Never underestimate the power of a hand on the back of the neck or cupping a chin up to a kiss.
21. Doing little chores around the house is the best way way to make her feel relaxed, appreciated, and turned on at the same time.
22. Try something new with her at least a month. It could be anything, it just has to be something you haven’t done/tried/seen/eaten/made before.
23. Let her borrow your sweaters. Even if you know “borrow” really means “steal.”
24. When she cooks the meal, you should always do the dishes.
25. When she cries, hold her head against your chest and wrap your arms around her until she feels okay again. No matter how long it takes.