I’ve found as a woman I am always apologizing for stuff that I really don’t need to apologize for. I’d literally apologize to a tree if I walked into one and as comical as that sounds it’s not right. I’m apologizing for things I have no business apologizing for just because I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes when they’d stomp all over mine without looking back. Here are things you should no longer have to apologize for because guess what? You’re allowed to be who you are and take up space!
1. For your appearance. You do not need to apologize to ANYONE for the way you look or the way you choose to express yourself. If you want to have rainbow hair then have rainbow hair. If you want to rock a nose ring or wear lots of jewelry do it! Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about the way you look because your style is perfect for you.
2. For speaking your mind. If you’ve got something to say, say it. Don’t let anyone make you feel inferior or stupid for speaking your mind. You have every right to do so.
3. For having an opinion. Just because you’re a woman doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to have an opinion. You should have an opinion and you shouldn’t be afraid to share it without having to apologize for having different views. You are strong and independent, and you’re allowed to have an opinion of your own, even if it goes against what everyone else thinks.
4. For promoting yourself and your accomplishments. For some reason, women feel bad about promoting their own work and I’m not sure why but I’ve also felt it. Fuck that though! Be proud of your accomplishments, share your work, brag about your accomplishments. You worked hard at something, don’t let anyone make you feel like you don’t deserve to pat yourself on the back.
5. For not texting back right away. You have a life and it’s not your responsibility to text everyone back instantly. If someone needs something right away they can wait, you have other obligations other than dropping everything and running to their needs. You don’t need to apologize or explain yourself for missing a call.
6. For your life choices. It’s your life and your life only. Don’t let anyone belittle what you’re doing with your life. Don’t let anyone make you think you’re living wrong because there is literally thousands of paths you can take in life. Live the way you want and don’t allow others to push their fears onto you and your choices.
7. For looking ‘too sexy’. Lol. But seriously, you are a woman. You are hot. You are fierce. If someone feels uncomfortable with what you’re wearing the problem they have isn’t with you, it’s with themselves. Don’t let them shame you because you’re confident and they’re intimidated by you.
8. For expressing yourself sexually. To play off looking ‘too sexy’ don’t let anyone shame you for expressing yourself sexually. You can be as sexual as you want. Take the photo in your underwear, flaunt the body you’ve worked hard for, be proud of yourself! After all, sex is a natural part of human life. There is no shame in that.
9. For asking for help. NEVER feel bad for asking for help. There is only so much we can all handle before we need to ask for help and asking for help does not make you weak. It makes you smart and strong.
10. For being upset/stressed out about something. You know who doesn’t get upset or stressed out? …No one. You don’t see men getting pissed off and freaking out over nothing then apologizing for it, do you? So what you got drunk and cried over the man who broke your heart, you don’t need to apologize like it’s word vomit. It’s okay to be upset and have feelings. It’s nothing you should be ashamed of.
11. For not shaving and hooking up with someone. So what you didn’t shave your vagina that night and there’s some hair and stubble? If the guy you’re hooking up with has a problem with that he can fucking leave because he’s probably shallow AF and not someone you want in your bed anyways.
12. For turning plans down. You can say no to people and it is okay.
13. For giving yourself a break. You are allowed to take days off for yourself. You are allowed to say no. You are allowed to take personal days and lie on the couch binge-watching your favorite show. Don’t feel bad for giving yourself a break. You need one.
14. For not knowing what you’re doing. A little life secret is that NO ONE knows what they’re doing. Everyone is just faking it, pretending to do the best they can. You don’t have to apologize for figuring things out along the way and making mistakes.
15. For accidentally making physical contact with another human. It is okay if you accidentally brush hands with someone or your arm touches another human with a shared arm rest. IT IS OKAY. The world will not end, you don’t need to apologize 10 times for making physical contact with a stranger who would easily kept on walking unless you blurted out how sorry you were. Obviously, don’t be rude, but it is okay to make physical contact with another human.