If there are things you absolutely need to remember when you choose to be happier, consider doing these 23 important truths and one day you’ll be glad that you did.
1. Things probably don’t go exactly the way you plan, but always realize that’s how things go sometimes.
2. Remove toxic people in your life and don’t feel guilty about it.
3. If people don’t want to stay in your life, give them the freedom they want.
4. Enjoy each day and feel free to indulge in things that make you happy. Enjoy pretty things, including yourself. Take control of the situation and make the most of whatever comes your way.
5. Be aggressive without being manipulative. Don’t try to pin anyone down.
6. Always do your best to maintain a positive attitude over things. Do it with a smile because there’s a great deal of fun-loving ready for you to draw upon.
7. Let your heart communicate and share your thoughts with others. The more you share with them, the more they will be encouraged to share themselves with you.
8. Make a new friend. Someone who won’t be away forever. Someone whom you can always talk to—the one who has a good listening ear and a strong shoulder to cry on. Someone who doesn’t make you worry if you can’t find the words to express your thoughts and feelings and who doesn’t make you feel shy if sometimes your sentences break off half-finished. Because as a friend, they always know what you are going to say.
9. Unexpected events may dramatically change your life one day, so don’t be upset if things don’t go as planned.
10. If you decide to get something done, always do it with love.
11. Do more of the things that you love and less of the things that you hate. Take deep breaths and long walks. Treat yourself to a trip to the bookstore and pick up some new books. Listen to good music, because it is one of the good things in life we take for granted. Good music is a blessing from God. It’s always a soothing tonic for troubled hearts. It can be heard in the whisper of the wind and in the song of the birds. Lift your heart in hymns whenever you have the privilege.
12. The love that is really meant for you will never ever pass you by. If it does, it was never meant for you. Don’t force things if pieces don’t quite fit together.
13. Life may provide various emotions along the way. No matter how long it takes, and no matter how hard it may be for you, life does go on.
14. Some people don’t stay, no matter how earth-shatteringly beautiful you feel when you’re with them. They are like raging waves that come and go—when they come back again, you don’t recognize them anymore.
15. You don’t get to choose the event that comes your way and the agonies that interrupt your life. You don’t get to choose how and when you’re going to die. So, live your life well.
16. Find yourself amazed in simple things, like the bald eagle soaring high, a deer crossing the street, and raccoons in the trees. One day you may look back and realize they’re the big things.
17. Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by good luck. Illness, injury, lost love, lost moments, and sheer stupidity occur to test the limit of your soul. Without these tests, whatever they may be, life would be like a smoothly paved, straight, flat road to nowhere. It would be safe and comfortable, but dull and utterly pointless.
18. If someone hurts and betrays you or breaks your heart, forgive them, for they have helped you grow.
19. If people love you, love them back unconditionally. Not because they love you, but because in a way, they are teaching you how to love and how to open your eyes and heart to things.
20. Tell people you love them, for you never know what tomorrow may have in store.
21. Make every day count. Appreciate and take in every moment. Do everything that you possibly can experience, for you may never be able to have it again.
22. Design your life beautifully and then go out and live it with absolutely no regrets.
23. Learn a lesson in life each day you live, because today is the tomorrow you were worrying about yesterday.