1. Trying to fix someone even though you are broken too. How many times have you picked up other people’s debris and get yourself cut in the process? How many times do you must bleed for someone else? How many times have you looked for the pieces of yourself in someone else’s cracks and crevices? No, two broken people don’t make each other whole. You can’t just fix someone in the hope that he will do the same to you. Only he can save himself. And only you can save you. But you still try because you think everyone is worth it.
2. Forgiving someone who doesn’t deserve it. Everybody may deserve a second chance—or even more. But it should be gained. How can you forgive someone who doesn’t even ask for it? Who doesn’t even work for it? But you still do forgive, right? I know why. You don’t want to live holding a grudge. And for that, I admire you—because only in letting go will you truly be free.
3. Trusting someone even after you’ve been lied to so many times. You’ve heard too much. Your ears are already used to lies that it can no longer identify the truth. Until you realize it’s time to build your walls up—to shut the sound out. But silence is more deafening than the loudest scream, so you knock it down and you choose to listen again. You listen again because you know how it feels like to shout and not to be heard.
4. Loving someone more than you love yourself. You don’t listen when people say how you need to love yourself first before you can love others. You keep lighting someone’s path while burning yourself up. You do it because you don’t want other people to feel how you felt when the one you gave your everything to walked away from you; when your friends refused to open the door; when your mother stopped looking at you. You know how lonely it could get to just love yourself. There’s so much more in loving others and growing with them.
5. Falling in love again and again despite all the pain you’ve been through. Relationships end, but the feelings don’t completely die with it. You’re always going to have your heart broken. You keep giving out love, though, because it’s one step to healing. And God knows how much you want to be healed. So, you love and love again. You keep taking the risk because only love can make you stronger.
It’s okay if you don’t always take other people’s words. The heart doesn’t listen, anyway. It feels. I am so proud of you for being the bigger and better person. I’m so proud of you for not letting the pain eat you whole. I’m so proud of you for believing in people, in greatness, in love. I hope you keep wearing your heart on your sleeve because in this world full of uncertainties, that’s the bravest thing you can do.