19. Clue. Yes, it’s based on the board game, It’s cheesy, and it’s absolutely hilarious. Tim Curry kills it.
It’s even better when you think about the fact that it has multiple endings and, when it was released in theaters, each theater in an area got a different ending, unbeknownst to cinemagoers. So if you went to see it to one theater, and someone you knew went to another, you’d go to discuss it only to find out it didn’t end the same.
20. Grosse Point Blank. Saw it for the first time last week and Dan Aykroyd, Joan Cusack, and Jeremy Pivan had me in stitches. Also appreciated all the 90s nostalgia.
21. My Cousin Vinny. I’ve seen this movie more times than I can remember, and it NEVER fails.
22. Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Steve Martin and John Candy at their finest.
23. Evolution – David Duchovny, Orlando Jones, Julianne Moore.
24. The Money Pit. Not sure whether this is little-known, as it was one of my favorite movies when I was small. A friend recently watched it for the first time and was in tears. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long are marvelous in it.
25. Fierce Creatures. I’ve never met anyone who’s seen it, and it is easily my favorite comedy.
Here’s how I’d try to sell it: the cast of a A Fish Called Wanda reunite to engage in an escalating series of comic set-pieces. Highlights include Kevin Kline riding a panda, Jamie Lee Curtis uncovering an apparent sheep-shagging ring, and John Cleese accidentally committing cannibalism.
26. Galaxy Quest. It is brilliant.
27. I Love You To Death. Joey works with Rosalie in their pizza parlor. She is convinced that he works all of the time for them and her world dissolves when she finds that he has been fooling around for years. Being Catholic, divorce is out of the question, so she and her mother and her best friend decide to kill him. Hopelessly incompetent as killers, they hire incompetent professionals as they beat, poison, and shoot Joey, who remains oblivious to their attempts.
28. U.H.F. starring Weird Al and Kramer from Seinfeld.
29. Real Genius is amazing. I’ve seen it mentioned on Reddit a few times but most people I talk to in person haven’t heard of it.
30. The Castle. Well known in Australia but not outside.