25 People Tell Their Creepiest Story That Is Impossible To Logically Explain

Keep the lights on tonight — because these stories from Ask Reddit will make it impossible to sleep in the dark.

10. A woman’s brain tumor told her where it was located

A real case printed in the British Medical Journal of a woman whose own brain tumor told her where it was and instructed her on what scans she needed to get.

There’s a paywall on the BMJ site, so the following is the story, copied and pasted from this source (there’s more info on there if you want to read more).

In the case history, an otherwise healthy woman referred to as “A.B” had been living in Britain since the 1960s and was a full-time homemaker when the events described in the article began in 1984. A.B. was reportedly sitting at home, reading, when she heard a voice in her head. The voice reportedly told her: ‘Please don’t be afraid. I know it must be shocking for you to hear me speaking to you like this, but this is the easiest way I could think of. My friend and I used to work at the Children’s Hospital, Great Ormond Street, and we would like to help you.’

A.B.’s response to this voice was about what you would expect. Frightened at what was happening, she tried to ignore the message but the voice reassured her by providing her with additional information about the hospital she would need to attend. Convinced by this point that she had gone mad, she consulted her family doctor who referred her to Dr. Azuonye (a psychiatrist).

After an examination, which showed no medical explanation for what A.B. had heard, he diagnosed her with a functional hallucinatory psychosis. Along with supportive counselling, she was also treated with thioridazine and the voices disappeared after a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the voices returned several weeks later even though she was still taking the medication. This time, the voices were even more specific in directing her to the diagnostic imaging wing of a nearby London hospital. The voices then informed her that she had a tumour in her brain and that she needed a scan for proper diagnosis. They even told her the approximate location of the tumour (her brain stem).

Though Dr. Azuonye had found no evidence supporting the presence of a brain tumour, A.B. was distressed enough by this time that he ordered the scan done. This actually took some negotiating since a computerized tomography test is an expensive procedure and the lack of any apparent medical justification, aside from a hallucination, made the request hard to fathom. After considerable debate, the scanning was done. Sure enough, the scan showed evidence of a meningioma with a left posterior frontal parafalcine mass extending through the falx to the right side.

The neurosurgeon to whom Dr. Azuonye referred his patient gave A.B. and her husband the option of immediate surgery as opposed to waiting for actual symptoms to appear. After weighing the pros and cons, A.B. decided on immediate surgery (the voices were in full agreement).

The operation was carried out in May of1984 with no surgical complications. According to A.B., she heard from the voices one last time after regaining consciousness when she heard them say, “We are pleased to have helped you. Goodbye.” No post-surgical problems arose though she was kept on anti-seizure medication for six months after the operation as a precaution. The anti-psychotic medication was also discontinued.” — reallybigleg

11. My new house sounded like it was haunted

“I had just moved into a new house. One day I was downstairs when I heard what sounded like furniture moving around upstairs, I go up to investigate but no sounds, nothing is moved. Go back downstairs and it starts again, I go back up; nothing. This went on for about an hour; I almost called the police because I was positive someone was in my home. I ended up calling someone and kept them on speaker phone while I searched the attic and any other place maybe an animal could be hiding but I never found anything.

Eventually I gave up my search and went to bed; that night I had a dream that I was driving to work in the rain and fog and crashed. Someone approached me and asked “are you ready to move on?” and I woke up.

At the time I was working mid-shift so around 10 PM that same day I get in the car on a foggy and rainy night and make my way into work without any issue. The building I worked in had security cameras all over and it being so late I was the only person coming in. When I get inside the person I was relieving asked who I came in with. I was alone but she swore someone followed me inside. It was a very unnerving 12 hours to say the least.” — ilovesmybacon

Thought Catalog

Thought Catalog is the online destination for culture, a place for content without the clutter. Coverage spans the ...

More From Thought Catalog