I’ve always believed that it’s easier to be hurt, than it is to hurt someone else. I have told myself so many times – he’s the right guy for someone, just not the right guy for me. As long as I can remember, I thought that being in a relationship for a few years means you are destined to be lifelong partners. It’s only recently that I discovered this isn’t true. I know that I can’t be the only one in this situation, so for those who need it – cheers to the following lessons learned.
1. I’ve learned that no matter how long you’ve been together – when you know, you know. It’s entirely possible to be with someone for five years, yet still not be right for each other permanently.
2. You don’t meet people by accident, and that each person who crosses your path brings life lessons to you that God knew you needed. Everyone you meet makes you stronger, and makes you look at life just a little different than you did before.
3. Count on your family. For years I’ve considered my significant other my constant, which is true to an extent…but, I’ve learned that your true constant throughout life is the family that God blessed you with. Never forget who you are, and where you come from.
4. Don’t lose who you are, even if you don’t know yourself yet. In life, we are constantly reinventing ourselves, but don’t give up things you once loved and sacrifice your independence.
5. It’s hard to let go, but it’s harder to be unhappy. Some happiness is only temporary and sometimes making a hard decision requires you to find happiness that isn’t.
6. A relationship should bring out the best in you. A relationship should be eternally supportive, and you should lift each other up in your worst moments.
7. Mistakes help us find the right person in the long run. Mistakes help you grow, and be better for the next person that you share your heart with.
8. Read quotes, and listen to LOTS of music. I can’t tell you how many times reading endless quotes on the internet lifted my spirits and gave me clarity. Music has been my savior through so many challenging times.
9. You have to truly love yourself, inside and out, before you can be in a successful relationship. We learn to love ourselves more and more each day through growth. Making our own independent decisions without seeing them through someone else’s eyes, helps us to find out who we truly are.
10. Life. Gets. Better. Sometimes it’s hard to see past tomorrow or next week. It’s easy to get caught up in this moment, and think about how bad it is without realizing that with time, things will start to look up for you again.
11. Open your eyes to every opportunity. You never know what could change your life next. Sometimes being in a relationship can fog your choices, but it’s important to take opportunities that will help you grow.
12. Be brave, and be bold. I learned that no matter how hard it is, it’s so important to say what you mean, and mean what you say. Not only are you being honest with others, but being honest with yourself.
13. Follow your heart, and your brain alike. One isn’t more important than the other, they both matter equally. It’s important to make smart decisions, that back up your emotional feelings.