If you have never heard of Dave Franco, then shame on you! Dave may have the same adorable, toothy grin as his famous brother James, but in terms of personality they could not be more different. Dave is known for his roles in 21 Jump Street as a drug dealer and Now You See Me as a magician with the ability to give people wicked paper cuts by throwing playing cards. You can see him in theaters this fall with my other boyfriend, Zac Efron, in Neighbors where they will both play frat-dude-bros and ruin their neighbor’s life who is played by Seth Rogan.
Here are 10 quotes from my baby Dave that will hopefully make you love him too.
1. “When I was in high school, I was dating this girl and wanted to make her birthday really special. I showed up early to school and went around to every single one of her classes and left a rose with her teachers. Each rose had a note with a little inside joke.”
2. “I audited this [acting] class and the people onstage were screaming and crying and hitting each other. I was like, fuck this! It was so intense. But I ended up sticking it out, and I really liked it.”
3. “I’m a cat person. I have two giant cats [Harry and Arturo] that I call the small panthers. They’re like 17 pounds each—they’re big boys! Every photo on my phone is of them doing something funny.”
4. “One time I was hanging out with a girl and I wanted to kiss her. I was too nervous to do it, so I wrote ‘Can I kiss you?’ on a Post-It and handed it to her. And it worked!”
5. “Recently I’ve been looking for something new. The past few projects I’ve worked on, I keep getting cast as the asshole. I promise I’m a nice guy and not the asshole that everyone keeps seeing. ”
6. “When I’m dating someone, if she bonds with my cats I’ll give her a chance maybe more than I would otherwise. But if she doesn’t like my cats it’s kind of a deal breaker.”
7. “Once a week I would meet up with the coolest teacher and we’d go over my work. All my friends were like, Soooo… once a week at lunch you meet up with Mr. Schulenberg to talk about poetry. They all thought I was having sex with my teacher. But I really just loved to write and it was a nice outlet.”
8. “My mom had decided that we were all going to perform a one act play. For no one. Just, just us. No audience. My partner was my 90-year-old grandmother. So, I would say the one line from that play that still resonates with me six months after the fact is when my grandmother’s character says to mine, “I know you’re here just because you want to fuck me.” Christmas with the Franco’s.”
9.On how he spent his first Hollywood paycheck “I think my first big purchase was actually for my mom. She had one of those ’90s TVs in her living room that’s like a 10×10 brick, so I purchased her a flatscreen for her living room.” –
10. Everyone always says, especially in the business, it’s great to look a lot younger than you are for longevity’s sake. But sometimes I just want to look my damn age and play a character my age. I don’t want to play high school again.
TC readers, why do you love Dave Franco? Which quotes from him make you swoon? Sound off in the comment section.