This is interesting, not to say something I have given a lot of thought about. Let’s see how the pokemon world unfolds, step by step:
- Food: Berries and stuff can last only so long, right? I think that most people will have to resort to eating various kinds of wildlife for sustenance. Here are some delicacies that come to mind:
Magikarp Fillet, anyone?
A treat for vegetarians, the highly prized Celebi salad will be somewhat similar to the current universe truffles.
Grass type pokemon will be the meal of choice for vegetarians in the Pokemon universe. Miltank farms will be a thing, and Moo Moo milk will be the drink of choice for most. Pokemon like bulbasaur and others will be used for their medicinal properties, soon becoming endangered.
- Military Uses: Rich nations will develop their own versions of highly powerful pokemon on the lines of mewtwo. Various classes of soldier pokemon would emerge out of this. Pokes like lucario, hitmonlee, blaziken would be foot soldiers, supported by heavy artillery like Rhyperior, Donphan, etc. The navy would include Swampert, Gyarados and others, while the air force would be handled by Archeops and the likes. Electrode and Voltorb would be used as explosives. The espionage would be handled by the ghosts and impersonators like Ditto and Zoroark, and the presence of Deoxys-A and other nukes would act as war deterrents.
- Infrastructure: Pokemon like Geodude, Onix, Machop would find their niche here. Construction of buildings, tunnels etc would be handled by them.
- Climate: No more will there be any need for weather prediction. Scientists will use their technology to clone pokemon like Groudon, Kyogre, Tyranitar etc. to obtain the weather of their choice. Things like storms, typhoons and hurricanes will be non-existent, in the presence of Rayquaza, but Zapdos, Moltres and Articuno could still cause the occasional blizzards and thunderstorms. Global warming protesters will have nothing to do and will instead call for a ban on using pokemon for weather control.
- Energy: Pokemon will spell an end to the energy crisis. Huge magnemite farms will provide unlimited amounts of free energy. Fire type pokemon like Typhlosion, Camerupt will be in demand in the colder areas, while the hotter areas will call for some cooling by ice type pokemon. Electrical appliances will be replaced by the various rotoms.
Various Electrical Appliances, courtesy: Rotom
- Transport: Magnet trains will be one of the most used methods of public transport. Due to the absence of petroleum, most private transport will consist of bicycles or vehicles driven by electric pokemon. Some brave people will attempt rides on a Ponyta or a Rapidash and many little girls will ask their parents for a Keldeo as a birthday gift.
Keldeo (aka My little pony)
- Education: Most children will eagerly await the age of 10 to begin their pokemon journey, until which age, they would be taught the basics of handling pokemon by Professors like Oak. People will have many specialized careers like Pokemon Nutritionist, Evolution researcher, Pokemon Center attendant, etc. A good record will enable students to join Gyms as trainers, eventually making their way up to Gym Leadership.
- Politics: Gym leaders will be the local administrators of their cities, while the Elite Four and the Champion will form the government of a nation. There will be no elections, instead, the E4 and the champion will have to be defeated in pokemon battles for a place amongst them.
- Religion: Most of the legendary pokemon will be regarded as myths unless actually discovered. Arcaism will be a popular religion dedicated to Arceus and His disciples. Though I have no idea whether Arceus will be crucified after being betrayed by Zekrom.
- The revolt: Having lived under human oppression for years, a pokemon revolt will be a certainty. Intelligent pokemon like Mewtwo will be the forerunners of the revolution to make pokemon free of human rule. Taking into account the power of even the weakest of pokemon, it will be safe to assume that everybody dies.
Watch this for another interesting take on pokemon in the real world.