Promise. Opportunity. Change. Each year comes with this trio of positive ideals, but if we truly want to make a new year better than the last, it’s likely we need to let some shit go first.
No year is ever perfect, not in the least. But before we hit 2020, let’s try to leave the following things and ideas behind in 2019.
1. The idea that we are entitled to anything in life, but especially at work and in love.
2. Breakups, heartbreaks, etc. Leave the negative memories of your love life in the past where they belong. Bring only the positive memories and lessons you learned.
3. Mistakes. Forgive yourself — it’s time. Don’t let them overshadow your future.
4. The people who are superficial. Meaningful friendships and relationships require substance. Leave the shallow and glittered-up airheads in the past; they’re a waste of time.
5. The people who mistreated and/or used you.
6. The people who lied to you.
7. The bad habits that keep your body from being its healthiest and strongest.
8. The idea that to have fun you have to drink or be drunk.
9. The idea that success is a checklist of career, house, significant other.
10. The fear of change.
11. Other people’s criticism and judgement. It’s your life, with your goals and your ideas– nobody else’s. So ignore them and live it.
12. Your social media status. Nobody cares how many likes, comments, or followers you have on Instagram. Share your life, but do it for you, not for a stranger in Australia.
13. The idea that we have to play games to get what we want in love.
14. Anything that is not evident of your authentic self. Clothes, habits, behaviors. Toss them. Be you, 100% you, with everyone you meet. Own yourself. Those who don’t appreciate that shouldn’t be in your life anyways.
15. The idea that you have to have everything figured out – now, by 30, by 40, at all. Nobody has it figured out, so get used to that discomfort.
16. Being comfortable. Nobody ever did anything great by doing the same thing over and over.
17. Worrying about things you can’t control.
18. The idea that if it’s not easy, it’s not worth it. Wrong. Grow up and embrace the reality that everything worth having is worth the hard work. Nothing remains in the “honeymoon” stage forever – not your job, not your romance, nothing.
19. The idea that you don’t need to work hard, that if something is “meant to be” it’ll all work out okay. Wrong. Nothing should be miserably hard to work at forever, but everything requires effort. Stop believing fate and karma decide the day and recognize your failings so you can grow up and be better.
20. The idea that life should look and feel a certain way. It’s a messy kaleidoscope of a million different colors and emotions, and you choose the ones you see and experience. Live your life for you, how you want, and in the way you feel is right. No one choice makes sense to everyone — no one job, no one style of romance, no one notion of success. What brings you happiness may bring someone else nothing but boredom, so live your life for you every damn day and own it.
Your life is yours to create and destroy at will. So go, go make the most of it. It’s your time right now, and to use the most clichéd phrase of our generation, “live your best life,” because as Instagram-dorky as it sounds, it’s damn true.