Workin’ Moms navigates the trials and tribulations of motherhood, with a twist of dark humor and whirlwind of inappropriate antics.
Regardless of whether or not you have kids of your own, Workin’ Moms is painfully relatable and strangely insightful. As you hop on the wild ride, here are some lessons you’ll learn along the way.
1. People will switch up on you. Your passion won’t.
Maintain interests outside of your personal relationships. Relationships won’t always work out the way you want them to, but your personal and professional success is in your hands.
2. It’s okay to stray from what you’re “supposed to be doing.”
Don’t let age-old traditions or ticking timelines dictate your decision-making process. Just do what’s best for you, and ignore the noise along the way.
3. It’s never too late to get your shit together.
Stop sitting around and judging yourself for your past choices, and start taking steps toward a better future. You’re not screwed because you’ve hit a roadblock, but you are screwed if you don’t do anything about it.
4. Don’t feel stupid about chasing your dreams, no matter how out-of-reach they may seem.
People will try to convince you it’s not worth it. You’ll try to convince yourself that you’re not cut out for it. Don’t let these things dissuade you, because this is what you’re meant to do.
5. Use your influence for the right reasons.
When there’s an opportunity to advocate or serve as a support system, take it. Simply lending a helping hand can be a game-changer in somebody’s life.
6. Make room in your busy schedule for the people you love.
Nobody resents you for your demanding career, but intentional planning can serve as a friendly reminder that it’s nothing personal.
7. “Good on paper” isn’t always good enough.
He makes a lot of money, and your parents are crazy about him. But has he ever made you laugh?
8. There are no hard-and-fast rules to good parenting.
You can read all of the baby books in the world, and jot down advice from your friend who seems to have it all together. But at the end of the day, it’s about what works for you.
9. Starting from scratch is scary, but it’s not impossible.
You will scream, cry, and throw things. But you’ll also learn, grow, and thrive.
10. As much as you try to have a normal dating experience, things will get weird.
Seemingly cool people will start to show their crazy side. Meaningless sex will get serious. But when it’s all said and done, wine will always be there for you.
11. Address issues in your relationship early on, because they won’t magically improve.
Avoidance and aggression aren’t viable solutions. However, honest communication is a good start.
12. If the vibe just feels off, always trust your gut.
Instead of forcing something that’s clearly not meant to be, push yourself to cut the cord. This gives you more time to secure what’s been right for you all along.
13. Avoid hiding things from your partner – even if it’s well-intentioned.
A harmless white lie may open a can of worms, and end up sparking a larger sense of distrust. It’s just not worth it.
14. Choose your words carefully. Honesty is important, but so is being tactful.
You may pride yourself on being the no-BS friend, but watch your wording. It’s entirely possible to offer tough love that doesn’t result in tears.
15. Stay ambitious, but also realistic.
It’s great to be multi-passionate, but even the hardest-working people burn out eventually. Make sure you’re not one of them.
16. Nothing will ever beat quality time with your best girl friends.
Life can get chaotic and challenging, but never underestimate the power of some good old unfiltered downtime with the people who matter most.