Recently I decided to see what life would be like without my Instagram. It’s a tiny away from social media, but doesn’t mean it wasn’t a tough choice. The fact that I was having such a tough time deciding if I should do it or not showed that I needed to. So one night I did without giving myself a chance to talk myself out of it. It’s been almost two weeks and this is how it’s been so far.
- I want to actually text or call people I wanted to check up on, rather than just stalk their pictures and assume I know everything that’s happening
- I haven’t felt a need to share everything I do on my Instagram
- I’m able to cherish moments more, not having to worry about to take the ‘perfect picture’
- No worry about what everyone would think about a picture, if it was too much, not pretty enough, if people are secretly making fun of me, etc.
- Spending too much time overthinking every post and caption
- Not spending endless hours scrolling and scrolling through pictures
- Talking with people when I’m out instead of looking at my phone
I don’t know if I’m going to make another one or not. A fresh start on social media does sound like a good idea. Being an aspiring writer, having social media is a huge help. So maybe in the next couple weeks or months I’ll step back into instagram. I still have my facebook and snapchat, however I’m noticing myself pull away from them slowly. So who knows how my relationship will be with social media. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all. It’s great for connecting and growing careers. However when it gets to a point that I NEED it, that’s a problem for me. Living my life without having to showcase it all for people who probably aren’t even looking has been quite refreshing.
Instagram, I swear it’s not you, it’s me.