Am I the only person on earth who doesn’t want to engage in this type of relationship? I’ve had my share of flings before, but none of them have ever turned into anything sustainable. From the outside looking in, it seems like a lot of fun, but from the inside looking out, it’s something my heart just doesn’t desire. Call me old-fashioned, but whatever happened to deep intimate connections?
1. I don’t want to be tossed aside in the morning like old news. I want to wake up in the morning and know what your day is going to be like. I want to send amusing texts midday, buy you flowers just because and know that we’ll fall asleep safe at night in the warmth of each other’s arms.
2. Someone is bound to get attached, and that person will most likely be me. We drink, we get drunk, we sleep together and then we try to forget about it. But what happens when we’re sober? When all of those human hormones such as oxytocin and endorphins get in the way? Chemicals that bond us as humans. Am I just supposed to forget like none of it happened? I get it, we’re animals and we have basic instincts, but have we not evolved a little past our primitive state?
3. The thought of you possibly sleeping with someone else just doesn’t sit right. Maybe we could agree on not sleeping with other people, but then wouldn’t we be in a relationship? We want the thrills and not the headaches, but how can we expect to ever grow without the headaches?
4. By using you, I’m losing me. How could I ever meet the person I’m looking for, if I’m blocking their path by using you? Sure, we could still get up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and meet the love our life while waiting in line, but we’re more than likely missing out on them by selling yourself short just to be next to, or in this case on top of, below, or behind a warm body.
5. What’s the biggest reason I don’t want a friend with benefits? I want a best friend, a lover and someone to call home.