1. Never kiss her First.
Guys have always been told that taking charge and making the first move is their responsibility. I beg to disagree. As long as you prove yourself, she’ll give you what you deserve. Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean you don’t make her want it; you need to make her want it! THAT, in reality is your true responsibility. The beauty of this “tactic” is that the less pushy you are, the more she’ll be impressed by your patience. Don’t be that guy who goes in for the kill. No one likes to feel like prey. If you do decide it’s a good moment though, follow Hitch’s advice: go 90% of the way then hold. If you’ve made her want it,she’ll come the remaining 10%.
2. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
“If you have six hours to chop down a tree you should probably spend the first four sharpening the axe”. I don’t mean to make a chopped down tree analogous to a successful date, but quoting Abraham Lincoln is always legit when it comes to advice. Put simply: luck favours the prepared. It may not take hours of preparation, but if you’re going out together, be sure to mentally walk through the route of where you’ll go and what you’ll do. Don’t hold back on thinking of some conversation starters either and if you’re going to a museum, at least know a little about the exhibition that is going on. Good things happen when opportunity meets preparation (now that’s Oprah Winfrey talking).
3. Avoid physical compliments.
Another widespread misconception is that women like to receive compliments about their physical attractiveness. I suggest that this is something you steer away from. Chances are [and especially if she is good looking] that she’s heard it all before. Again, stand out; don’t pull a predictable move (see point 1).
To illustrate my point more clearly, I’ll tell you a story: I was once told that in Middle Eastern cultures, complimenting someone for the beauty of an object they own is not the done thing. That’s because they’ll remove that object (a painting for example) from its place and hand it to you. How is this related you ask? Point is: complimenting people for physical things is never as profound as showing appreciation for something of theirs, which is intangible. Just as thanking your Middle Eastern host for their hospitality is much more polite, so is it more charming to show a girl appreciation for her openness, spontaneity or wit.
4. The dance floor is your place to work it.
Even the most unattainable woman will pay attention to a man that can dance (we’ve all seen Pulp Fiction, haven’t we?) At the least you should have fun trying. We can usually tell how good you’ll be in other places by what you show you’re capable of on the dance floor. That doesn’t mean you have to be Fred Astaire, but when you take a women out, be willing to get on the d-floor. This isn’t an invitation to grind up behind us; we’re looking more for rhythm, ingenuity and joie de vivre. Never felt good in your dancing shoes? Don’t worry, just be sure to twirl her around a couple times to let her know you’re there to have a good time.
5. Be interested in her social circle.
As the Spice Girls so perfectly said “if you wannabe my lover, you gotta get with my friends.”One of the best things you can do is get along with the people she is closest to. Being interested in her entourage as well as making an effort to get along with them will let her know you’re interested in the people she cares about most. It will also give her friends a positive impression of you and since she is likely to ask them “what do you think?”, allow them to tell her first: “omg… I loooove him”. If the lady you’re pursuing clearly has a close-knit crew, invite them to join in on a weekend plan and she’ll be pleasantly surprised by your inclusiveness.
6. Be subtle about paying.
The best way to go about the bill is to “go to the bathroom” just before leaving and paying on your way back. Quibbling with who should pay is a bad look and this way the all-too-familiar “no please, I insist” dialogue is avoidable. Let her know it’s no biggie; in all fairness you probably asked her out anyway. The subtlety of your approach will make her feel at ease and the subliminal message will impress her in an elegant way. Sure, it’s not 1950 and there is no need for the man to always pay, so if she insists to get the ice cream, let her.
7. Be nice to the waiter.
I once went out with a guy who was delightfully courteous with me but quite rude with the waiter. A person, who is nice to you but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. This is the kind of truth that a woman’s grandma told her as a little girl and will have stuck with her to this day. The way you speak to others, especially those serving you, is something she will take note of. Truthfully, it applies to everyone because the way you treat others is a huge indication of character: good guys finish first. If you’re not good, take grandma’s advice starting now.