If you aren’t familiar with the term Brony, it’s the word used to describe those that are super fans of My Little Pony. While it may seem like an odd obsession, it has become hugely popular over the last few years, thanks in a large part to 4Chan. To give you a better understanding of who Bronies are, here are 21 things you didn’t know about them. If you want to learn more, there is an annual My Little Pony Census filled with stats and info on the subculture.
1. The demographic of Bronies is predominantly, but not exclusively, male. Approximately 4 out of every 5 Bronies are guys.
2. While many think the main demographic is teenagers, the average age of a Brony is 21 years old.
3. Over half of all Bronies are from the United States, with no other country even making up 6% of the Brony population.
4. Interestingly enough, the percentage of Bronies from the US dropped 6% from 2013 to 2014, which means the phenomenon is spreading far beyond North America.
5. 1 out of every 4 Bronies report that they’ve been in a serious relationship in the last year.
6. The largest percentage of Bronies have never been married, while less than one percent of the group has formerly been married and now divorced. Married individuals only make up around 5% of the group.
7. The continent with the least amount of Bronies is Africa, which doesn’t have a single country with more than one Brony in it.
8. The United Kingdom and Russia make up the biggest population of Bronies in Europe with Germany also beginning to grow into a Brony hub.
9. South America is one of the fastest growing Brony areas, as Chile, Brazil, and Argentina have become incredibly active with fans over the past few years.
10. In the United States, Utah has the most Bronies per capita with 9 out of every 100,000 people being a Brony.
11. California has the largest US Brony population of any other state with 1238 on record.
12. The median household income of Bronies for 2014 is $61, 578.
13. Approximately 3 out of every 4 Bronies still live at home with their parents, which makes sense considering the average age is 21, an age when most people are in college or about to being college.
14. The largest race of Bronies is caucasian, but the fastest growing group is Hispanic, which grew from 5% to 13% from 2013 to 2014.
15. The vast majority of Bronies have siblings, with only 16% of them reporting as only children.
16. According to their 2014 Census, there are even two Bronies in Antarctica.
17. The most isolated Brony in the world is the lone Brony in Fiji, nearly 2,880 miles from fellow Bronies in Australia.
18. Only about 1/3 of Bronies have divorced parents, with an even smaller percentage having a parent that has passed away.
19. Nearly one in ten Bronies are active members of the military or were part of the military service in the past.
20. 65% of Bronies report that they are heterosexual with no interest in the same gender with less than 2% saying they were exclusively homsexual.
21. The most popular way to watch My Little Pony? You guessed it, good old YouTube.