1. You can try to please everybody, but know that it’s impossible.
2. You are bound to offend someone, somewhere. The sooner you accept this, the pressure to be perfect will be lifted off your shoulder.
3. If you are going to go out of your way to get acceptance and approval, get it from yourself first.
4. Lions don’t lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
5. Learn to sift through what is being said and not being said. Praise and critique may be laced with bias, take both with a grain of salt.
6. Everyone has their own self-interests. Remember to protect yo’ ass too.
7. We are all dealt with different hands, you can’t blame anyone for their cards, the same way they can’t blame you for yours.
8. How you play it is a different story and is totally judgeable.
9. Stop downplaying your strengths to make other people feel better.
10. Don’t belittle people (in front of their face or not) to make yourself feel better.
11. Always be humble and willing to learn. There are no small roles, only small actors.
12. It won’t be easy. It takes time and hard work to get better.
13. It won’t always be tough too! You reap what you sow, so plant ’em good seeds.
14. Give credit where it’s due – including yourself.
15. And like how Michelle Obama described Barack’s philosophy: “When you’ve worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity…you do not slam it shut behind you…you reach back, and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed.”