4. Lupe Fiasco admitted that Lasers is about his own inner battle with suicide. He said, “I wrestled with suicide. [I wanted to] document that in a song, explain to people what the fight of it is. There’s this wrestling with fame and success: How much is enough? How much of this money can I blow on Ferraris? What level of fame [shows] that I made it? Is it when the paparazzi are chasing me down the streets? Then I’m famous? Or am I famous now?”
9. In Poetic Justice, 2Pac was supposed to have a sex scene with Janet Jackson, but it didn’t end up being shot because he refused to get an HIV test.
15. When Biggie was recording “Notorious Thugs,” he wanted to practice his Bone Thugs style freely and unencumbered, and so he sent everyone out of the room while he practiced by himself.
18. “Bitches Ain’t Shit” by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg isn’t really about bitches at all, but rather Eazy-E and N.W.A’s former manager Jerry Heller. In the first verse when Dre raps, “I used to know a bitch named Eric Wright,” he’s talking about Eazy-E of N.W.A, who Dre used to be homies with before they got into a long-lasting beef. Eazy-E and Jerry Heller were a team of sorts and are referred to in this song as “she” to highlight their bitch-ass-ness.
21. In VHI’s 2002 documentary on Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes from TLC entitled The Last Day of Left Eye, she admits to referring to her drunk self as “Nikki”.
28. Cee Lo Green sang on TLC’s “Waterfalls”.
31. Eminem recorded his Slim Shady LP while he was on ecstasy.
35. Tupac’s step-aunt Assata Shakur is an activist and escaped convict who was a member of the Black Panther Party and Black Liberation Army. Between 1971 and 1973, Shakur was accused of several crimes and made the subject of a multi-state manhunt. After a series of criminal incidents, she was convicted of first-degree murder and in 2013 the FBI announced it had made Assata the first woman on its list of most wanted terrorists. In 1979, she escaped from prison and, since 1984, has been living in Cuba in political asylum.
36. TLC recorded the theme song for Nickelodeon’s All That.
38. Andre 3000 and Erykah Badu had a child, Seven, in 1997. Andre’s song “A Life In The Day of Benjamin Andre” is about his relationship with Badu.
41. There’s a video of Riff Raff doing cocaine, and then freestyling for 8 minutes straight.
image – s_bukley