I’m only 18 and I’m already fed up with dating. Yes, the excitement of the first date is great and the thought of meeting the person you might fall in love with is exciting, but the amount of stress and disappointment that I have experienced this short year does not make this worth it.
1. I never realized how much I hate small talk. I’m nice and ask you how you are and how your day was at the start of the date to erase the awkward silence that surrounds us, but truth is I don’t care. I don’t care what you had for breakfast, I don’t care about what happened to you at work, and I really don’t care about answering the question that always follows. I don’t want to tell you a stupid sentence about my day that you won’t care about either. I never noticed how horrible small talk is. Yes, at work or with my teachers I find it to be acceptable but not while I’m sitting opposite the guy that I’m slowly undressing in my mind.
2. Repetition. I haven’t had that many first dates but I have had a few this year and I swear it’s as if every single guy got together and decided on the top five questions to ask as the ice breaker. Every single question was the same as the last guy’s. After about my third date of having to answer the inevitable question of “so what is your favorite movie?”, I tried to make it a little bit more fun and reply with either a stupid answer or ignoring the question altogether and moving straight towards a question that’s on my mind and that is “whether or not I will want to see you naked later” even if I dodge the question and try my best to steer the conversation somewhere where I won’t want to shoot myself in the face, I always get asked the boring question on every single first date.
3. Expecting me to have sex with you at the end of the date. Yes, we live in the 21st century and I don’t find anything wrong with sex on the first date; however, it’s not something I like to do. I would rather get to know the guy or at least get a second date out of him before giving him the best 15 minutes he can manage. Yet I don’t appreciate the little hints or even expecting me to get half-naked in your car just because you brought me a drink; and telling me that you won’t think any less of me if I do have sex with you is not the way to get into my panties.
4. Checking your phone while I’m in the middle of my story. I don’t care if you are checking whether or not your pet fish has died while I’m telling a story. However boring it is, do not get your phone out and make it obvious you don’t care about a word I say. I’m not saying don’t ever take your phone out. Instagram and tweet away but not while I’m trying to get to know you. It’s just simple manners.
5. Talking about all the other girls. I’m not an idiot. I am aware that you are most likely talking to a lot of girls and taking a lot of other girls out on dates but you don’t need to mention them to my face. I don’t want to feel insecure.