Pansay is 84, and one of the sweetest women you’ll ever meet. For years, she’s come up with DIY ideas and home remedies for just about any situation you might find yourself in. One of her dreams was to have her wisdom passed on to others. This is a collection of tips and tricks from nearly a century of life. We’re grateful that she has allowed us to publish them for her. –Rob Fee
1. You can use lemon juice to get rid of rust stains on just about anything. It won’t damage it and it smells better than harsh cleaners.
2. If you have a bruise, gently rub hand sanitizer on it and it will dramatically lighten the bruise.
3. Is there anything more annoying than itchy mosquito bites? When they start itching, use a little roll-on deodorant on them and it will make the itching stop.
4. If you want to clean tarnished silver cheap and easily, use white toothpaste. It’s great on antiques.
5. To clean burnt coffee out of the bottom of a coffee pot, simply used chipped ice and salt. Scrub it around down in there and it’ll do the trick.
6. Just a little bit of Super Glue will help with cracks in your nails and keep them from getting much worse.
7. If you have cracked and dry heels, put some Vicks salve on them and put socks over it, then wear them overnight. You’ll notice a huge difference in the morning.
8. Believe it or not, a great way to treat small burns is with Preparation H. That is, if you have some Preparation H around your house.
9. If you’re going hiking or camping, put a little WD-40 on the bottom of your pants and shoes and it will keep mosquitos away.
10. It can be difficult to clean mirrors and windows without getting lots of streaks. Mix 4 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, 2 teaspoons of dish washing liquid and it’ll do the trick.
11. To keep ants out of your house, put bay leaves by your window or your doorway and it’ll keep them from coming in.
12. You can also tape a bay leaf to your bag of flour or corn meal and it’ll keep any insects from getting in it.
13. This one may sound a bit odd, but if you have the smell of onions or fish on your hands, later them up and rub them on the faucet of your sink and it will eliminate the smell. Rinse off the faucet and it won’t hold the smell on it either.