1. You can be the absolutely best person and there will be somebody who still doesn’t like you. And that’s okay because it’s not your job for them to like you. More than likely it is a problem within themselves than a problem with you.
2. Just because you don’t like somebody doesn’t mean you have the right to treat them badly. Treat everyone you meet like they’re going to be dead at midnight.
3. Be kind. Even when you’re angry or frustrated. Be kind when you are tired and cranky. Be kind when you least feel like it. Everybody has their own battle ahead of them and you want to be remembered as kind and not an asshole.
4. Always carry a change of seasonal clothes, cash, and a blanket with you. You never know when you’ll need any of those three and it’s best to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
5. Help out when you can. Work whenever you can. Find something to do that involves giving to others. You’ll feel whole when you make a difference in someone’s life.. It doesn’t have to be a big something either, helping someone reach something in a store or giving directions will suffice.
6. Befriend the kid with no friends. Be the one that gets laughed at and made fun of for it. And still do it. Many times these people are tons of fun and teach you so much about life.
7. Love unconditionally. Love your parents and your siblings.. Love your friends and everyone you encounter.. Have a love so deep for life that people love can see the love pouring out of you.
8. Keep a planner. It literally took me twenty years to figure this one out. Keep a planner of important dates: events, due dates, plans. It’s important to know what you need to do and when you need to have it done by. Plus when you can mark off a task, it leaves behind a beautiful feeling.
9. It doesn’t matter what anybody thinks of you. Be confident in yourself and your skills and you will go far. Be confident in who you are and don’t let anyone try to change you. You are molded by your experiences and since nobody knows everything about you, they can never fully understand the intent behind your actions.
10. Keep your word. If you say you will do something, do it. Don’t forget. Otherwise you are unreliable and that’s not a good reputation to have.
11. Be patient. Everything worth having takes time. So work hard and let everything work out in its own time.
12. Set aside time for yourself. Always being around people can get tiring. Set aside a few hours a week for a bubble bath. It really does the body good to relax for a while.
13. Learn to love learning. I loved learning from a young age and because of that I’ve kept my inquisitive nature. Question everything. That’s how you learn. You have to figure out what you want to do the rest of your life.
14. Stop complaining. That fixes nothing. If you don’t like something then change it.
15. Don’t get stuck in a negative work environment. That will suck the life out of you quickly. You can love your coworkers, but if your coworkers don’t reciprocate and they’re rude to you then get out.
16. Don’t be afraid to ask for help sometimes, but also help others. I always hated asking for help. I am a very independent person and it kills me to ask for help. But I’ve learned that it’s better to get help and excel than do it on your own and do an average job. And whenever possible, help others. Offer your help freely and often. Offer your help even when you don’t think they need it.
17. Asking nicely will always get you further than telling someone to do something.
18. Always pull your load. If there’s ever a time you can’t, then make up for it later.
19. Learn to cook. There will be a time when your mom isn’t there to cook for you and take out can get expensive. It’s not hard, but it does take practice. So practice now before you have kids and end up torturing them with your cooking.
20. Find a job you love and stick with it. If you find you love your job you’ll never work a day in your life. My grandfather always told me he never worked a day in his life and he was a manual laborer. Don’t just find something you’re good at, make sure you love it. If you love it and you’re terrible at it, you can always practice to get the skills down. It’s much harder to develop a love for something you hate.