1. Your interests will come before my own. I have no interest in hiking a seven mile trail before sunrise, especially when the alarm woke me up during a dream about the new Mongolian barbeque restaurant that’s about to open. But I give in, realizing it’s worth the trek so long as I’m in your company and this is something you want to do, since I know we’ll have a good time regardless.
2. I want to know everything about you. From the last time you cried in a movie to why you always order pepperoni pizza only to take the pepperonis off.
3. When you hurt, I hurt. When I know something is bothering you it becomes my new, unwavering mission in life to get to the bottom of it; never to the point of where you feel overwhelmed, but to where you’re in a good space about it, ready to take action or at least cope, knowing that I’m in your corner.
4. But I also know when to give you space and aren’t afraid to do so. I can let go of doubts that you won’t return or that the relationship will never be the same again. Things will pick back up where we left them – maybe not at the same speed – but at the same place.
5. When you smile I smile. There is no need for jealously. I know how amazing of a person you are. This is why I love you and when something great happens I only think of how deserving you are and how it couldn’t have happened to a better person.
6. I want to teach you. There are interests I have and people I know that I love almost as much as you. I want to share this with you and hope you want to do the same.
7. I want to learn with you. Nothing is shameful with you. We can be blissfully ignorant together as judgment is perpetually replaced with understanding.
8. I have no doubt in my mind that if someone ever hurt you they better be watching the fuck out at all times. ‘Nuff said.
9. You can have it all, seriously. There may be some whining in certain circumstances, but there is not a thing or emotion (for better or for worse) in my possession that I would not give you if you needed it.
10. You are a major character/arc in the story of my life.