1. Learn independence. Let 2017 be the year that you learn to be mentally and emotionally independent. You are important enough to question authority, do your own research, and form your own opinions. No one has power over your mind and emotions, unless you give it to them. Be grateful for another year to reclaim your mental and physical health.
2. Accept responsibility for your past. Let 2017 be the year that you accept responsibility for the past, rather than blaming external circumstances. If you were abused, accept that you had weak boundaries, and work on creating stronger ones. If you took advantage of someone, take responsibility and work on self-improvement.
3. Embrace your dark side. Let 2017 be the year that you recognize and understand your own dark side. Accept that you are only human. Let the forgiveness of love conquer the stubbornness of ego. Embrace the duality of light, dark and everything in between. Remember that you still choose to shine despite all that you have been through.
4. Spend more time in Nature. Let 2017 be the year that you think about our Planet Earth. Let it be the year that you actually care about our environment and a sustainable future for the next generation. Rejuvenate yourself in the wilderness and purity of forests, mountains, and water bodies. Be grateful for nature, and appreciate its unconditional love for humanity.
5. Be minimalistic. Let 2017 be the year that you practice minimalism and try to be less materialistic. Buy less, think less, do less, and breathe more. Get rid of the unnecessary clutter of toxic people, negative thoughts, and useless objects in your life. Spend more time in stillness. Revisit your childhood idealism to do some good in the world, and discover what gives you deeper meaning and personal fulfillment.
6. Chase. Let 2017 be the year that you learn to chase the right things. Do not chase people or popularity. Do not chase money and materialism. Chase courage and compassion. Chase your dreams and passion.
7. Make more mistakes. Let 2017 be the year that you make more mistakes. Mistakes are great. They make you who you are, and show you all the different versions of who you can be. If you are making mistakes, it means you are growing out of your comfort zone.
8. Cultivate kindness. Let 2017 be the year of kindness. Let it be the year the power of love and respect trumps narcissism and selfishness. Understand the motivation behind another person’s actions, rather than jumping into judgment. Use your past errors and blunders to become a more empathetic person. Cultivate compassion for your own failures, and other people’s shortcomings.
9. Create more. Let 2017 be the year that you create something that didn’t exist before. Paint a picture with your hands. Make a new friend. Grow a plant. Mix a salad. Dance to no music. Write a poem. Make someone laugh. Get lost in the flow of something bigger than yourself.
10. Be more spiritual. Let 2017 be the year that you have faith in something, anything, even if it is yourself. Be mindful of your needs, wants, likes, and dislikes. Reflect on your successes, failures, goals and ambitions, and practice self-awareness. Strive to be a more conscious human being, and search for authenticity in yourself.
11. Hurt and heal. Let 2017 be the year that you are not afraid to hurt, because everything heals with time. Think of how far you’ve come from the things that destroyed you a decade ago. Let your bitterness dissolve, forgive your past, and learn to trust again.
12. Let go. Let 2017 be the year that you practice not wanting people who don’t want you. Become an expert at walking away from disrespect. Master the art of letting go.
13. Love. Let 2017 be the year that you let love into your life. Let it be the year that you don’t settle, but also don’t set too many conditions on settling. Commit to feeling your emotions fully, and bring vulnerability back.
14. Personal growth. Let 2017 be the year that you commit to your personal wellbeing. Let is be the year that you realize that choosing yourself is not always selfish. Let it be the year that you are proud of your past, because of who it made you today. Let it be the year that you are full of optimism and enthusiasm for your future.