- The way you view your life is usually the way your life turns out to be. By this I mean if you see your world is a dark, bleak place and use negative connotations to describe it, the more likely it is that all you will find in your life is problems and tragedy. If you view your life and your world in a positive way, even your problems, you will find that things tend to resolve themselves far more easily.
- Your softness, your kindness all those things that make you believe it is easy for you to be walked all over right now, and be taken advantage of, are actually the very things making this world a better place not just for you, but for everyone. So do not harden. Stay soft. Stay gentle. Do not let the darkness that makes up this world make you unfeeling, cold and brutal.
- No matter what path you choose, you will face obstacles. The trick is to view the obstacles as lessons instead of tragedies.
- There is more warmth and wonder in being hopeful against the odds than there ever will be in being negative and pessimistic, no matter how awful things get. A bleak view on life never solved any problems, only creates them.
- Think of all the secret wounds you are carrying around inside yourself. Now think of the person you dislike the most for petty little things and imagine if they were carrying the same secret wounds around inside themselves. Would you still dislike them for the things that they do? Can you forgive them their behaviour better now that you think of them that way?
- There is more power, in this moment, in accepting the way things are never ever going to return to the way they were in the past and instead focussing on bettering the future. The future is still moldable to your fingers and your ideas of destiny. The past is long since established as fired clay.
“Love a soft person. The ones who are positive, even in the worst of circumstances. Someone whose strength is not in bravado, but in their quiet. Someone who is strong for others because that is what is needed in that moment. Someone who is the moon that soothes instead of the sun that burns. Someone who sees the very best in people even when you think they aren’t worth it. The kind of person who always wants to do the best for those they love.”
—Excerpt from Your Soul Is A River, by Nikita Gill
“I bought this on a whim to read as I was resting for the night, and I do not regret it one bit! Everything about the poetry in this book is amazing, heart breaking, and soul searching. It will lift your spirits on your darkest days. I want to thank the author so much for writing this, as it’s something I will be rereading a lot! Always remember, everything about you is important. You matter.” —McKayla
“The essays in this book are short and sweet, and incredible. Love love loved this.” — Alex
“I’m so in love with this book! It’s so moving and some of the stories bring me to tears not because it’s sad, but because it’s relatable and shows that we’re not alone.” — Kendra