To live healthy and happy requires taking care of yourself, even on days you don’t feel like it. It means recognizing your worth and investing in yourself. It means fighting to nourish your mind, body, and soul to live splendidly. Remember, you were crafted flawlessly, planted gently, and cared for graciously. Now, It’s your turn to take care of yourself so you can bloom through life. Below are a few things I do to ensure I’m investing in my mind, body, and spirit. I promise that when you start doing the same, you will feel beauty emanate from within.
1. Rise early. Rising early gives you more control of your morning as you decide what to do without being rushed. Give yourself more time in the morning so you can do things that are important and soulful to you – catch up on that book you’ve been wanting to read in peace, make room for meditation, make that breakfast you’ve wanted to indulge in, or simply enjoy getting ready without watching the clock.
2. Stretch. Stretching will de-stress your body, loosen up tight muscles, and increase blood flow. While stretching, thank your heart for pumping, your muscles for moving, and your skin for protecting you. Thank the universe for your body, health and existence.
3. Stay hydrated. Flush out those toxins first thing in the morning by having warm water. Warm water relaxes your muscles, helps with body aches, aids in maintaining weight, helps improve digestion, cleanses your skin, and improves your metabolism. You will feel great knowing you not only took care of your external but internal self.
4. Don’t be d-ficient. Vitamin d has been my secret daily supplement. Most of us don’t get the vitamin d absorption we need through sunlight and foods. Taking vitamin d supplements will support and strengthen your immune system, brain, and nervous system.
5. Watch the sunrise. Catching the sunrise will awaken your mind, body, and spirit. As you watch the sunrise, observe the awakening of the morning. Observe the animals, trees, and life around you. Give gratitude to the universe and all that it contains. Let the sunrise give you hope for the new day. Let the sunrise remind you that you exist for a reason and that you, like the sun, bring shine into someone’s life.
6. Give gratitude. Giving gratitude is a spiritual discipline which comes with so many blessings. Thank the universe not just for the good but also for the bad you have experienced as it has contributed to your becoming.
7. Try something new. Trying something new requires stepping out of your comfort zone – it means experiencing something unfamiliar. A new experience will lead to learning, meeting new people, gaining a new perspective, and finding inspiration. You will learn so much about yourself when you take on something new. Trying something new will also make you and your life more interesting!
8. Stop stress before it starts. Stop stress by changing your mindset. It’s not the situation that brings on stress but how you perceive the situation. When a situation transpires, be optimistic, practice stepping away to collect your thoughts, be calm, and practice thoughtfulness.
9. Say no to others when the time isn’t right. Learning to say no is really difficult and many of us feel we have to say yes when someone asks us for our time. If your stress levels are already high, you want to avoid saying yes so you don’t feel run down and irritated when helping others. When you respectfully say no, you will feel empowered. Being mentally healthy is key before helping others to avoid unintentionally bleeding on others.
10. Treat yourself. It’s not frivolous to treat yourself, it’s essential. Treating yourself doesn’t mean you have to splurge. Treating yourself can be taking a yoga class. Treating yourself can be soaking in a warm bubble bath. Treating yourself can be buying yourself your favorite peonies. Treating yourself can be trading in a night with friends to read or write. Treating yourself can be going on a long walk in solitude.
I hope you never feel guilty for self-caring your way through life!