Online Journalists are a ridiculous people that find meaning in what we do. We’re a community that grows more and more each day, and many are trailblazers for a new frontier of digital storytelling, who will decide what the future landscape of media will look like. Even so, we tend to find ourselves in odd and sometimes infuriating situations that are unique to the business we are in.
Here is a (very) short list of them.
1. Trying to write a catchy and clickable title
2. Pitching stories
3. Some people are just way too curious about my private life
4. Negotiating your freelance rate with an editor
At First you’re like
But then you’re like
But, like, not really.
5. Trying to explain what it is you do to your parents
No, Mom, I don’t work *for* the internet. Wait, but, do I?
6. Trying to figure out how each publisher’s content management system works, so you don’t screw everything up
7. Every moment of your life is “Networking”
8. Picking clips to put on your portfolio
9. Spam comments!
10. Negative Comments
11. Emails from publicists
12. “There is not enough available storage to take a photo”
13. When a coffee shop doesn’t have reliable wifi
14. Too many journalists live tweeting in one space that none of you can get them to send
15. Your search history makes you look like a serial killer
“how to get away with murder?”
“can you kill someone with sex?”
“how to buy cocaine?”
It’s cool though, Paul, the FBI agent who monitors me through my webcam, loves my stuff.
16. Trying to write another bio for each site that you write for
17. When a celebrity or politician does something newsworthy at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning
Really, Beyoncé? This 24 hour news cycle is a real bitch.
18. Computer freezes while writing
19. All your friends who went into PR
20. When your editor asks you to write something that will go “viral”
21. When your editor thinks you’re their assistant and expects you to know how to answer their weird questions, like, what’s his ATM pin?
22. When your editor doesn’t think your pitch has legs
23. Having a proofreading ability that increases 1000% as soon as you hit “submit”
24. When someone asks you what made you become a journalist
25. That satisfying feeling you get when you file your latest piece
LOL, yeah right.