1. You are loved profoundly.
2. Drink lots of water. A no brainer, but people still forget.
3. Eat fruits and veggies… and exercise! I promise to stop living off ramen and learn to cook healthy things for you to eat.
4. Don’t stay up too late; sleep is good. (I never had this problem, maybe I love sleep too much.)
5. Believe in yourself! This one’s important. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and it’s completely and utterly okay to mess up or not know what to do. That’s how we grow in our aptitudes and our character. Have confidence in yourself.
6. Physical standards of beauty are not as important as they seem; in fact, they’re always changing and often attract the wrong sorts of people. Just stay clean; take showers, wash your face, and brush your teeth every day. It may sound cheesy, but it’s what’s on the inside that makes you truly beautiful.
7. Friends are important. You don’t need a lot of friends, just a few really good ones that you can put your trust in. You will need their help, and they will need your help. Sometimes you will get hurt by your closest friends, and when that happens, let them know how you feel and hear what they have to say; you’ll understand each other better this way so that you can work it out. Through growing with them you’ll learn to forgive and depend on others. It is what opens up our hearts to care about each other.
8. Remember to respect your elders, teachers, and parents. They may have a lot of wisdom to offer.
9. Don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, or to pursue your dreams. It is good to keep an open mind to the opinions of this world, but people will often try to convince you their ways are better, when they aren’t. It’s okay to think differently.
10. Change happens. It just does; sometimes it’s great, and sometimes it’s devastating. It teaches us to adapt. Remember that there are always far better things ahead than any we leave behind. Keep going.
11. It is inevitable that you will be attracted to many sorts of boys, but be wary of the kind of guy you are interested in. The popular, flirty, or mysterious ones are usually bad news. Choose one who’s honest and humble, makes you laugh a lot, and is always looking to help others — like your father, hopefully. Remember to guard your heart, and it is most definitely not the end of the world if the guy you like doesn’t like you back.
12. Study hard! Strive for excellency in all that you do. Remember to not compare yourself and just do your own best. Maybe I’ll be able to help you. Or maybe not. School can be a drag, but it will be worthwhile. I’ll be cheering you on.
13. Do what you love, and love what you do. If you have a dream or passion, by all means, chase it!
14. Never hesitate to help other people out, whether it’s to pick up someone’s books in the hallway or compliment someone on a new hairstyle. These little things go a long way, though you may not see it.
15. Talk to me about anything; about everything. I am human and will mess up at times, be irritating at times, or lose my temper at times… so please have patience with me. I love you and have been thinking about you long before you were born. I am thinking about you as I am writing these words right now, and I look forward to watching you grow older and seeing all the marvelous plans in store for your life.