1. No one can save you but yourself. Not your parents, your friends, or your partner. Just you. This is both a lonely and powerful truth that will set you free to grow and become who you were meant to be.
2. Self-care gets tougher to practice as you get older and busier, which makes it that much more important. Because you can’t help others until you help yourself, and you can’t be productive if you’re not taking the steps to be healthy first.
3. Never underestimate the power of a tight hug from someone who loves you. And don’t be afraid to hug tightly back.
4. It’s okay to log off. Stop checking your damn email every six seconds on the weekend. You’re not missing anything but the present moment. Pay attention to that instead.
5. Water while drinking actually will help with your hangover the next day, you fricking idiot!!!!! That, and vodka and you will probably never have a good relationship.
6. If someone wants to leave your life, kindly hold the door open for them. Because not everyone is meant to stay. Sometimes letting someone go is one of the most loving things you can do for both them (and yourself).
7. You’re more resilient than you realize. Even if you don’t always feel that way, you know it’s true. Just look at what you’ve survived so far.
8. Angry texting will never, ever get you or the relationship anywhere. It’s better to have the tough conversations on the phone or in person.
9. Growth isn’t comfortable. In fact, it’s anything but. Stretching and bending in ways you haven’t before will never feel good, but it is ultimately what will make you stronger and wiser.
10. Cold brew will always make you tweak out. Seriously, stop drinking it.
11. It’s okay to keep certain things to yourself. Not everything needs to be discussed or analyzed in depth. Sometimes, the best thing to do is feel, think it, and then let it go.
12. Fake it till you make it is actually good advice. You’ve seen it work time and time again. Even if you don’t believe the way you’re acting, behave like you do. It’ll make getting through life a hell of a lot easier than giving into every single insecurity and bad mood.
13. It’s okay to stay in if you don’t want to go out. Because, no, you’re not wasting “the best years of your life” because you don’t feel like going out, yet again, for the seventh Saturday in a row. Listen to what you want to do and not what you think would make you look fun on Snapchat.
14. Taking a quick walk outdoors is always going to be a great way to refresh. Because there truly is nothing like fresh air.
15. Don’t go to Target while you’re sad. You’re just going to spend money you don’t have on stupid shit that you don’t need (and you’re not going to feel better either). In the wise words of Kendra Syrdal, “Take a nap instead.”
16. Sleep is one of the most important things you can prioritize. It’s not lame to go to bed early sometimes or stay in because you need to catch up. It’s healthy.
17. Slow down. Because rushing never gets you anywhere good.
18. It’s okay to mess up. Everyone does. You aren’t the first person to make a mistake, so stop feeling like you are. Learn from it and move on.
19. You know more than you think you do. Listen to your intuition, it’s there for a reason. Share your experiences, you’ve learned something from them that someone else could benefit from. Make your own decisions without consulting someone else first, you’re more than capable.
20. But you also know less than you think you do. So don’t be afraid to be the one who listens more sometimes.
21. Love what you love and don’t feel bad about it. Unless it’s hurting someone else or yourself, fuck it. Let yourself enjoy the music you love, the books you love, the writing you love, the movies you love, etc. Anyone who tries to make you feel bad about what you’re passionate about isn’t someone you should be spending much time with anyway.
22. A broken heart isn’t the worst thing in the world. Put yourself out there every now and then. You’ll survive if things don’t work out. After all, you have before.
23. It’s okay to be alone sometimes. You don’t need to be constantly surrounded by people or texting someone to know you’re loved and needed. Trust the people in your life and just do you sometimes. It’s okay.
24. It’s okay to still need your parents sometimes. They love you and want to help. Let them.
25. Gossip is cheap conversation. Be careful about being roped in. You never feel good after, and you know it. Talk about something of substance instead, such as ideas, books, and even the goddamn weather. It’s a better look and a better way to develop a genuine connection.
26. You’re doing better than you think you are. Seriously, stop being so damn hard on yourself. Things will work out, even if it’s not in the way you imagined. You’re doing the best you can and that’s all you can ask of yourself. You are enough.