1. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” — Ian Maclaren
Don’t assume that someone’s life is always better than yours. We typically think this particularly when we ourselves are having a difficult day. You never know what someone may be dealing with, so be especially mindful to not jump to conclusions.
2. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” — Maya Angelou
Be careful of what you say and how you act around others. We all know the “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” saying, but those words (and actions too) can leave a profound impact on someone, positive or negative.
3. “Without music, life would be a mistake.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
Music has been widely proven to have a variety of positive effects on the human body. Take a few minutes out of each day to listen to your favorite tunes and relax.
4. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” — Louisa May Alcott
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Life is a learning process, so don’t freak out when you mess up. Learn from the experience and use that to move forward.
5. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” — Andre Gide
Be yourself – stick to your morals, values, and beliefs. Don’t try to impress others around you or try to be someone else – you will only end up hurting yourself in the long run. Just focus on being YOU.
6. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
Believe in your dreams and aspirations. Don’t destroy them just because someone told you that you couldn’t be whatever you wanted to be. That includes that negative voice in your head, too. This is your life, and we all know it’s not going to last forever, so take charge of it.
7. “Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.” — H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Take some risks, but be sure to think them through. Dare to try something different; this can be as small as trying out a new restaurant to asking someone out on a date to moving to a new city. Be open and willing to try new possibilities.
8. “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” — James Keller
The strength we get from being empowered is a great feeling – don’t forget to return the favor. Help out someone in need, no matter how small the task. Share kindness, knowledge, and love, and everyone will benefit.