1. Burt’s Bees makes about $200 million in revenue per annum.
2. As of 2010, they have a 45.2% hold on the Lip Care market. They also control over 42.7% of the market in foot care too.
3. Roxanne Quimby teamed up with Burt Shavitz to make candles. They made $200 at their first craft fair. They went on to make $20,000 that year.
4. In 1989, a New York boutique called Zona ordered their candles. The demand rose so Quimby and Shavitz hired 40 people to start production on candles (and eventually personal care products).
5. When Burt’s Bees were stocked at Walgreens and CVS’ around the country, their revenue exploded from $60 million to $250 million in 5 years.
6. In 1999, Quimby bought out Shavitz’s share of the company, giving her full control.
7. In 2004, 80% of Burt’s Bees was purchased for $173 million by AEA Investors, a private equity firm. Quimby still had 20% of the company.
8. In 2012, a forecasting analyst for Burt’s Bees would have made an average of $71,989 a year.
10. Unfortunately, you can’t go on a tour of the Burt’s Bees factory.