I love optimistic people. I really do. The ‘glass is half full’ kinda people! They are always positive, always cheerful, always hoping for the best. There’s nothing wrong with them. There is nothing wrong with expecting a bright rainbow. I admire them, a lot. But I don’t want to be them. No, I don’t. I am happy being a pessimist. And I think most of it comes from the fact that we always take into account the worst case scenario. We are not cold, grumpy or sadists, but we aren’t all bright and shiny either. Pessimists know that the only thing you can rely on in this huge planet is only you and your gut. They know that at any minute, any second, anything can go wrong. They know that your best friend could any day stop talking to you, your boyfriend could anywhere cheat on you, your fridge could anyhow stop working and melt all your chocolates.
1. They are so so and only so ready for the worst. Always.
2. Pessimists expect less. The glass is half empty for them because let’s face it, either someone is going to drink it up or throw it down. But at the end of the day, the glass is going to get empty. So by default, their gut tells them that by the end of everything, no matter how much they loved or cared or worked for, there is always a 50-50 chance that they might end up empty.
3. Pessimists are never dependent. They are the most insecure of all. Of course they are, and why shouldn’t they be? The world is not always a rosy picture for them.
4. Pessimists trust no one. And I think that’s really wise. You never know if the person sitting next to you smiling is planning your biggest downfall.
5. Pessimists are also the most understanding and forgiving people. They have the ability to see things with various viewpoints. They know that everyone is human and that humans are entitled to mistakes. They will never hold it against you.
6. Pessimists do not kiss ass. They will never suck up to their bosses but instead work extra hours. They believe in fair game.
7. They rise above- You might curse them on their face and expect them to pick up a fight. Not happening! They will always rise above and be the bigger person.
8. Pessimists are too calm- That’s true! They are too calm because they always weigh their consequences before acting out.
9. Pessimists value relationships- It is not easy for a pessimist to build and appreciate relationships. So when they do, they give their heart and soul into it.
10. Pessimists know the worth of time- They know that every minute is as important and that time waits for none.
At the end of the day, I am not asking you to choose between optimism and pessimism, but to be in terms with reality. As beautiful and challenging life can be, there are so many tears you will wipe while so many smiles you will share. You’re going to face so many deaths while you’re still breathing and you’re going to see so many faces that make you among the luckiest ones. There is always going to be sunrises and there is always going to be sunsets, there is always going to be day and there is always going to be night, there is always going to be the truth and there is always going to be the false. The trick is- Do not lose sight of the reality.