I think it’s fair to say that if you aren’t watching “Bob’s Burgers”, you’re missing out on some of the greatest comedy (animated or otherwise) of our time. “Bob’s” has recently received its third Emmy nomination for Outstanding Animated Program and a renewal for its 5th season on Fox. I recently received the privilege to pick the brain of just one of the many shining stars in the cast.
John Roberts plays Linda Belcher, the fun mom of the family, but he isn’t new to playing whacky ladies. In 2007, he filmed a series of videos as a fictionalized version of his own mother.
I’m not entirely convinced that this character isn’t based on my mother.
Roberts also created a character named Debra with some tape and a doggy purse that I’m fairly sure he stole from my 6-year-old cousin’s closet.
But of all the characters Roberts has embodied in his career, the most iconic has to be Linda Belcher.
I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to ask the man behind the woman we all know and love some questions that we’ve all been dying to ask. You’re welcome, world.
1. Okay so we’ll start off with the question everyone is itching to know the answer to… How would you describe the sexual tension between the members of the “Bob’s Burgers” cast?
It’s disgusting. We are all on Viagra and bread. H. Jon B. has an extremely small penis and Kirsten loves to swallow.
2. “Bob’s” has had some great guest stars. Who have been some of your favorite people to work with so far?
Key and Peele, Bobcat Goldthwait, Molly Shannon, Bill Hader, Jenny Slate.
3. Going off of that, who would be your dream guest star in the future and what role could they play?
Paul Reubens/Linda’s gay cousin.
4. When you were a kid, which of the three Belcher kids were you most like? Why?
Gene because he’s pretty queer. He also loves to play music but doesn’t really want to learn how to.
5. I know that there is an element of improv that comes into play when the cast is recording. What has been your proudest contribution to Linda’s dialogue?
We improv a lot. Throwing my ashes in Tom Selleck’s face was fun.
6. What are you most excited for in coming back for season 5? Anything you’re hoping for?
More hysterical top-notch scripts including one that I am working on :)
7. Inquiring minds want to know, are Jackie and Debra still friends?
They will always be friends!
8. And where is Stephanie Berger these days?
Stephanie Berger gives lectures about the dangers of drugs in high schools across America.
“Bob’s Burgers” returns Sunday, Sept. 29. Be sure to tune in! And be sure to follow John Roberts on Twitter at @JohnRobertsFun