My full, first name is Markie (for clarification, I am a girl); and let me tell you, I love my name. Now, having an unusual name, such as mine, does have its pros and cons. However, the best way to deal with the slight nuisances is to have some fun with it. Thinking about it, my name is so original that I get questions about it all the time, something most people don’t get asked about. What’s not to love about that? Having a unique name is, without a doubt, super totally awesome, even if it does have its setbacks. Here are some things that only we, special stars with whacky names, can relate to.
1. You’re not even bothered anymore by people misspelling your name.
2. Or mispronouncing it, for that matter.
3. “WOW your name is *insert odd name here*?!?!? That’s SO COOL!!”
4. Introducing yourself can actually be quite the task, especially in a loud atmosphere.
As if my name wasn’t confusing enough, imagine trying to defy the crowd and shouting it to someone.
5. And sometimes, after introducing yourself, their reaction is priceless.
6. “How do you spell that?”
7. “What’s that short for?”
Nothing. It’s on your birth certificate written in fine ink.
8. I can’t tell you the amount of times people thought I was a boy until they actually met me.
9. “Naw, that can’t be your real name. I don’t believe you.”
Fine, then don’t.
10. When you go to Starbucks, you always do the barista a favor and give them the spelling right away before they even ask.
11. The “What the hell were my parents thinking?” thought.
12. You always know what to say when asked how your parents came up with that name.
13. Old people are the worst.
Not to hate on them or anything, but when giving them your name they either:
A) Respond with “WHAT???”, often times taking a few tries before they’re successful at mastering your name.
B) Call you the absolute wrong name.
14. I’m not using a fake ID, I promise.
15. “OMG I have never met anyone with that name before!”
Really? Neither have I.
16. You stand out from everybody else. Depending on the situation, this can either be a good thing, or a bad thing.
17. People never forget who you are because your name is so distinct, which is actually pretty sweet.
18. You are truly one-of-a-kind.
Your name has allowed you to be different and not blend in with the crowd. Without your offbeat name, you don’t know if you’d be the same way you are now. And if your name is as strange as mine is (or maybe even stranger), I know you must be a pretty cool person.