1. “That we’re divorced.
Years before they came along, spouce and I decided it wasn’t working out and got divorced. Years later, things still weren’t working out fantastically for both of us, so we got back together. Never did get around to getting remarried though.”
2. “My son’s older half sister molested him and that’s why we don’t see them anymore. Waiting until we can get into a psych for support before we break it to him.”
3. “That my adopted daughter was conceived as a result of a gang rape. Experts say you are supposed to give your adopted children all of their history when they are old enough, but honestly if it were me I would just rather not know. We are considering not ever telling her. It weights heavy on our hearts.”
4. “We are so poor. They’re little so they don’t notice. But we struggle a lot to pay the rent and buy groceries.”
5. “After all the acid we did, we thought you kids would be flipper babies.”
6. “My 3-year-old is an absolute miracle. Her birth mom (my wife’s sister) didn’t want her, basically tried for an intentional miscarriage via massive drinking and drug use. Born 10 weeks premature, she shouldn’t even be alive by most medical estimations, yet here she is. Slight developmental setbacks, but she is solidly inside the bell curve. Her socialization is on point, and she should start school on time. She will know none of this until she is in her teens, most likely. I am so grateful for this impossible little person.”
7. “My son was planned, but after separating from his father when my son was 8 months old and having basically nowhere to go/no way to actually take care of us on our own, many many times I thought about the possibility of dropping him off at the hospital and skipping town. I never did, and he is eight now and we are very happy.”
8. “The sheer volume of BDSM related toys hidden in our bedroom. There’s also a 50/50 chance our eldest was conceived in a fetish club.”
9. “I secretly adopted (bought) my son after my wife lost our own child during birth. Its quite easy in my country considering theres a lot of poor parents willing to give away their children. My wife regained consciousness after 4 days. Neither her nor my son know this.”
10. “I don’t want my son to know that he was an unwanted accident. Even during my pregnancy, I didn’t want a child. I was still so young and had my whole career ahead of me. I wanted to travel the world, finish school, and advance myself in life to the fullest.
After he was born, I had a hard time adjusting and it took me a long time to fall in love with motherhood. I didn’t feel a connection to my son and felt like the worst mother in the world.
Now, I can’t stop looking at him or hugging him or crying over him. I’m finishing school and I got promoted at my job. I can have my life and still be a mother too. I only regret my feeling of not wanting my son, because he means so much to me and there are no words to describe the deep love that I feel for him.”
11. “I’m a surrogate parent to my two siblings. The most fucked secret I’ve had to keep is that, while both our parents are abusive, my father is the true reason why they’re messed up. He’s insanely sneaky and manipulative. He’s cheated on my mother for years with other women, gaslighting her into believing she’s crazy. The kids don’t know because they’re kids. They think our dad is an angel.”
12. “Before I found out I was pregnant with my first child, I took a shit ton of pills. I think it’s the closest I’ve ever come to suicide. I had always dealt with anxiety and depression. I feel like the extra hormones put me over the edge. I found out about a week later that I was pregnant (surprise). I was terrified the entire pregnancy that something would be wrong with him. Luckily, he was completely healthy and is an incredibly smart child. I’ve never told anyone. I feel so guilty.”
13. “They know daddy works with money, but they don’t know it’s in the cannabis industry.”
14. “That we weren’t actually visiting daddy at ‘his work’, its a secure psychiatric ward where he’s been in since she was 3 months old.”
15. “My father molested my daughter. She suppressed the hell out of it. We are still trying to figure out how to break this to her.
We cut off all contact with them, but my mother feels that this is something that shouldn’t affect their relationship if my daughter doesn’t actually remember the incident. I don’t agree at all, but that doesn’t stop my mother from trying to contact us. She comes from an age when women just suffered and said nothing about it, and so feels that we should just accept my father’s apology and move on.”
16. “It’s not fucked up. But my daughter doesn’t know I’m an atheist. She goes to a Christian private school. Going to be an interesting conversation when she is a little older. She is starting to put it together. She just asked me the other day that why does her mom say a prayer for Jesus before bedtime and I say the Green Lantern oath instead.”
17. “I hate their father. Sometimes he is tolerable, but overall, I hate him.”
18. “Adoptive parent of three kids two of which are biological siblings and cousins. Found out a year after the adoption that the biological parents were half siblings who shared the same dad. The bio parents found out after they had the first child and proceeded to have another. The kids are now 16 and 13 respectively and have zero clue that they are a product of incest. Unfortunately their biological grandpa just passed away, so there very well could be a big reveal coming in the near future.”
19. “Her father is schizoid and scammed me for a visa. She was an anchor baby.”
20. “Not mine, but my sister’s oldest doesn’t know that her younger sister, whom she loved with all her heart was kidnapped, raped and then shot in the head. She believes that the younger one died in a car accident. That’s pretty effed up according to me.”