Dear Sam Smith,
If you ever get to read this article, please know that you have so many lovers around the world. We will continue to support you – through heartache, heartbreak, finding yourself, and enjoying life to the fullest. Your songs and the stories behind them are awe-inspiring. The words in your songs are so powerful. Thank you for sharing your journey through life.
1. “You say I’m crazy ‘cause you don’t think I know what you’ve done, but when you call me baby, I know I’m not the only one…” – I’m Not The Only One
Sam Smith is on-point with these lyrics. This is for all those who have given their all to someone, but they were taken for granted. Man is not always completely satisfied with life, but if you cannot see the love that is being poured out to you, then you are definitely not deserving of that love. Always follow your intuition and don’t be a fool. Trust is valuable in relationships; once it is broken, it can never be gained back.
2. “You told me not to cry when you were gone, but the feeling’s overwhelming, it’s much too strong… Can I lay by your side, next to you? And make sure you’re all right.” – Lay Me Down
No matter what, when someone loves you with all their heart, they will go to the ends of the earth for you – just to make you happy. Sometimes, we just need a shoulder to lean on, a hand to hold, and a warm body to lie next to for us to feel that, at least, there is something that feels right in the world. Sexual chemistry is important in relationships, but it is also important to just be able to quietly lay next to the one you love and know that someone is there for you as you conquer the world – hand-in-hand.
3. “You’re the one designed for me, a distant stranger that I will complete. I know you’re out there, we’re meant to be so keep your head up and make it to me.” – Make It To Me
I would like to think that Sam Smith wrote these beautiful lyrics for those people who are currently not in a relationship but always dream of the day when they will meet the person who puts a bit more sunshine into their life – their future lover. The person truly meant for you will get to you at the right time. As they do say… anything worth having is worth waiting for.
4. “What do you want from me when I just wanna restart? You keep coming back for me when you’re the one who tore us apart and the truth is I’m better on my own, and I’m the one to leave it apart so let me restart.” – Restart
This is for those ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends, almost-lovers, and friends who settle on the gray area – pulling you back into their lives just like a bow-and-arrow. No matter how much you care for someone, you have to save yourself the heartache and start a new chapter of your life – close the page of the past and move forward with or without certain people.
5. “I love you but not in that way.” – Not In That Way
When we’re in love with someone, most probably a best friend, and you’ve shared so many memories together – and maybe along the way, they have made you feel that you were something more than just a friend to them – but it turns out to be one-sided. Those words are just so gut-wrenching that I can literally feel my heart being yanked out of my chest just hearing those lyrics.