1. The first step to having a great day is to say, ok, today’s going to be amazing. Like so amazing. Whatever other ridiculousness happened yesterday, well, that was then. Today only happens once. It’s fresh!
2. Make your bed and pick up around your room every single morning. It’s really small but when I do this stuff the monotony wakes me up for one thing, but even more than that this is one of those quite moments where I can think clearly before the day really begins, before my attention span is swallowed up in notifications.
3. Chose your outfit carefully. Seriously: work a look! When you look good, you feel good. You’ll look confident, and if someone tells you they like your shoes or your necklace it’ll give you that extra boost of fabulousness to make your day a great one.
4. Try to wake up early. Hard to do if you were up until 3 a.m. binging on Netflix, I know. But you’ll be surprised by how great you’ll feel when you can do everything you wanted to do today by 1 p.m. You’ll be like, “Wow the day is so long!”
5. Realize that having a good day is about doing little things along the way that make you feel good.
6. Make a playlist of some of your favorite songs that you can listen to on your commute or while you’re sitting at your desk. There’s nothing like a great soundtrack to power you through the rest of your day.
7. Connect with someone in real time. We spend so much time communicating through screens, so take a second to tell someone you read what they’re reading and it’s great. Strike up a conversation.
8. Be the first one to flirt.
9. Have a to-do list but make sure it’s SHORT. Saying you’ll bite off more than you can reasonably chew in a single day is a surefire way to feel lost, unaccomplished and behind.
10. Go off grid the night before, say around 9 p.m. Put down your iPhone. Get out of Facebook. Read a book, talk with your housemates, listen to music with a nice glass of wine. All the messages you would have had will still be there tomorrow.
11. Talk to someone you love.
12. Watch every single episode of Alyssa’s Secret!!!!
13. And always remember this: “Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”