1. You’d be surprised at the number of gay men who suffer from low self-esteem. We are constantly faced with pressure to be fit, masc, hot, trim, etc., etc., etc., when really all you need to be is yourself. Confidence is the way to a more fulfilling life.
2. Every single gay dude should own a leather jacket. Black leather! Grey leather! Maroon leather! Leather is great because it automatically adds just a little bit of edge to any look. And who doesn’t to be edged!
3. Gay guys should own at least one plain t-shirt. It can be one of those deep v’s or a crew neck, take your pick. People have this idea that style means all of your clothes need to be loud with frayed edges and crystals dangling off them. But there’s nothing more stylish than a guy in a plain t-shirt, a pair of jeans and a leather jacket. You don’t have to work hard to look good.
4. Gay guys should have a sense of honesty, especially if you’re in a relationship. It’s easy to get caught in a lie and then try to make things better by lying your way out of your own lie. By then you’re so many lies deep there’s no way out, and when shit blows up will you tell another lie or will you just be upfront?
5. The first thing I do when I go to someone’s house is look at their books. I’m nosey! So, gay guys should have a book collection of some sort. It doesn’t have to be huge, just enough to show people you know there is life outside of reality TV.
6. At the same time, gay guys should have a favorite album, something that really speaks to your soul. It’ll give you something to talk about on dates and it’s also a way of sharing who you are with other people.
7. Gay guys should have stamps in their passports from all the countries they’ve visited. This is especially true for my American gay dudes out there because we get stamped everywhere we go. Going through your stamps is kind of cool because it’s like a diary of all the places you’ve been in the world. ProTip: The stamp for Ireland is green!
8. I really believe the way into a person’s soul is through their food — if they can cook! So that’s why every gay boy should have a cook book. It can be from any type of cuisine, too, just as long as you go through it and learn to make different recipes from time-to-time. Imagine how you’ll woo that guy you’ve been seeing with that really delicious pineapple stir-fry chicken recipe you mastered.
9. There’s nothing better than a hot guy who has his own unique, signature scent. Every gay guy should find a scent or a few scents he really likes and work them. Just don’t put on the whole bottle at once, damn.
10. And last but not least, every gay guy should have someone who will always be there for you. When shit gets real, when you get sick, when you get dumped, when your house gets broken into — when life just starts throwing tomatoes at you from every direction, you need someone you know you can always call.