1. Men aren’t mind readers.
“Men aren’t mind readers…if you want something, be direct.”
2. Guys are shy, too.
“Guys are shy, too. Don’t be afraid to walk up and talk.”
3. Not all men are rapists and sometimes a compliment really is just a compliment.
“Not all men are rapists and sometimes a compliment really is just a compliment.”
4. If you want a ‘bad boy,’ expect to be treated badly.
“Don’t tell me you don’t like me because I’m a ‘nice guy’ and that most girls like ‘bad boys,’ and then come looking for a shoulder to cry on when he cheats on you or treats you like shit. Instead, go fuck yourself. I don’t care, because you got what you deserved. Next time, try looking for someone who cares about you, even if they’re ‘too nice’.”
5. It’s not OK to physically assault men, period.
“It’s not OK to physically assault men, period. It doesn’t matter how small you are and how big the guy is. If you don’t disagree, walk away, voice your concern, or speak to the law.”
6. We are just as emotionally complex as women are.
“Men’s emotional lives are, pretty much across the board, just as complex and nuanced as women’s.
Also, there’s a whole ecosystem of subtle communication, competition, and one-upmanship between men (think Alpha/Beta but way more complicated) that is probably largely invisible to you.
We’ve had to navigate through it all our whole lives and sometimes it stinks.”
7. Guys like getting compliments about their appearance, too.
“Guys like getting compliments about their appearance, too; even just minor ones feel nice.”
8. We are not machines. We are human, too.
“We are not machines. We get sick. We can cry. We can be goofy or funny. We can be weak or scared. We can go limp. We can complain. We can be nice and sweet. Don’t make men out to be machismo meatheads who just walk around looking for sex and expect us to always be strong and confident and take charge on every single little thing. We are human, too. It’s not bad to be a nice guy.”
9. Some of us actually are hopeless romantics.
“That some of us actually are hopeless romantics. We want to find true love, too. Even then we will still make mistakes. Some of us it will be really stupid and think that we want different women just because that’s the way we are programmed. And sometimes it takes something big to make us realize that’s not what we want.”
10. You shouldn’t smack us down for showing emotions.
“• If we open up to you, let us do it instead of smacking us down for being emotional, you’ll have a friend for life.
• Don’t assume what movies teach about men is at all accurate; seriously, my last girlfriend did and was perpetually worried I’d cheat even though I find the concept abhorrent.
• If we’re quiet, it means we’re thinking, not angry.
• We have a strong desire to protect the women in our life, whether that be our wife, our sister, or our grandmother even. We do get overprotective due to an admittedly over-reliance on our ‘gut feelings,’ and we’re aware it’s annoying you, but humor us and you may be surprised with the results.
• A man’s younger siblings are extremely important; do not insult them if you want us to stay. Talking from experience here.
• We worry over our bodies constantly, media bombards us with an ideal you have to work for years to attain and keep, similar to women, let us talk about it if we need to.
• I’ll say it again: IF WE OPEN UP TO YOU, LET US!!! DON’T FUCKING SMACK US DOWN FOR BEING ‘EMOTIONAL’ OR ‘UNMANLY’ FFS.”