As the New Year has arrived, we all have a fresh start and get to say goodbye to the more trying times of 2015. Whether it’s a bad haircut or a bad breakup that we want to forget, we all can begin again and welcome the New Year with open arms. So, where do we start?
1. Let go of friendships that only bring you down. We all have those friends that we keep because of history or because it’s “convenient.” But the thing is, you deserve to have friends who only bring you encouragement. You deserve the kinds of friends who will stand by you even if you have royally messed up.
The “friends” who insult you? The ones who make you feel miserable? Let them go and you’ll be a happier and better person for it. Besides, you’re a diamond and they are rusty pennies.
2. Let go of your regrets. I’m sure there are many (many) things you regret about 2015. Maybe it was saying goodbye to someone who you loved, or not taking that job opportunity you wanted, but whether we like it or not, we can’t go back to the past. We can only move forward, grow stronger, be fiercer. Don’t waste your time on looking back. Look only to the now and to your future.
3. Let go of your exes. Please. It will be better for you and better for them. I know how difficult it can be to let go of your old flames especially if they were a huge part of your life, but that’s just it: they are your old flames and you’re going to find better and hotter flames once you let them go. Seriously.
4. Let go of jealousy. Jealousy is one of those crippling emotions that affects our everyday lives. We are bombarded with images of the ideal body, the ideal weight, the ideal life. So, it’s easy to get caught up in the glamour and the over photoshopped instagram pictures. It’s also easy to get caught up so much in other peoples lives that you forget to focus on yourself. And you forget to remember the great things that are happening in your life. So, let go of your jealousy and embrace yourself.
5. Let go of self-hatred. Sometimes thoughts pop up in our heads that are direct insults to ourselves. And it probably happens more than we think. So, stop telling yourself you aren’t enough, because you are. Stop telling yourself you will never find a love like that again, because you will. Stop telling yourself you are ugly, because you are beautiful and need to believe that. You are always, always enough.
Letting go isn’t easy and it probably will never get easier. But, 2016 can be your reset button, a time for reinvention and a fresh start. Let go of your broken parts and leave them on the floor because you don’t need them anymore. You only need you. Let yourself heal, and slowly your heart will shine through the darkness and kick 2015 goodbye.