1. Turn off your phone and other electronics. Sometimes, this big world can get to be too much for us. Take some time to sit in silence by yourself with absolutely no distractions. Focus on your breathing and allow yourself to empty your mind of all that negativity.
2. Write it out. Some feelings are difficult to understand and to express — even to your own self. Grab a notepad and pen, and list everything that you are feeling. This way, you can have a better understanding of your emotions and can start to dig deeper.
3. Listen to your favorite music. This might be a no-brainer but having a good dance-off to your favorite tunes can significantly brighten your mood. Throw yourself a good old-fashioned dance party and sweat out that sadness.
4. Communicate with others. I always feel ten times better after talking to a close friend about what I am going through. Don’t let all your tension and negative energy build up inside of you, instead chat it up with your loved ones.
5. Ignite your senses. When I am feeling blue, I really enjoy taking a nice hot shower or bath. A shower can make you feel as if you are washing away all of that day and stress right off you. Note: A shower is also a great place to cry.
6. Clean your room. There’s something about making your bed, picking up your clothes off of the floor and organizing your closet that makes you feel like you have a little more control in your life. It also gets your mind off the negative thoughts that like to creep in especially on bad days.
7. Let yourself really feel and sit with these emotions. You are feeling down for a reason, and it most likely is going to stay there for a little while. Let yourself cry and yell without hesitation or embarrassment. You are a human being, not a robot and you’re allowed to feel things that aren’t so pretty.
8. Sleep on it. When you are feeling down, in most cases you are physically and mentally exhausted. Taking a nap or going to bed early will shut those feelings off for a while. Waking up on a new day and with a clearer mind will let you have a fresh start and outlook on your situation.
9. Spread kindness. Something that is guaranteed to make you feel better is to make someone else’s smile a little bit brighter. Whether it’s giving someone else advice or helping someone in need, nothing beats the feeling of giving.
10. Give yourself a little kindness. Know that you are doing your best and that is all that you can do right now. You aren’t going to feel like this permanently and life is going to move forward in a brighter and better direction.
I’m no expert on feeling a hundred percent happy all the time, but I don’t think that should be anyone’s main goal for themselves. With lows, comes better highs and with sadness, comes happier and better times. You aren’t going to always be confident or content with how your life is going, but realize that this is a temporary and fleeting moment.
Life is going to throw us many obstacles that we don’t think we can complete, but if you keep going and finally reach the finish line, you’re going to realize that the hurt, the grief and the challenges were all worth it in the end.