Days are tough. Music makes days less tough. Dope alterations of songs you know can make days…almost good.
1. Bastille – What Would You Do? (City High)
With his recent hit Pompeii, Bastille is well on his way to becoming a semi-household name. A few years back, he made a huge splash on the music blog scene with this imaginative cover.
2. J*Davey – Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
Nirvana tweaked to fit the new wave/pop rock stylings of late-aughts. Underrated pump up music.
3. Runaground – Wake Me Up (Avicii ft. Aloe Blacc)
One of those covers littered with “better than the original?” comments all over the ‘tube. Definitely deserving.
4. Charlie Puth – Someone Like You (Adele)
This has over 17 million views, likely because their voices penetrate the sound barrier in the most powerfully pleasant way possible.
5. Jon Bellion – The Motto (Drake)
You’ll want to know this name. As demonstrated by this song and others, this inventive talent has a very bright future.
6. Timeflies – Wild Ones (Flo Rida ft. Sia)
Timeflies has been deep in the cover/remix game for quite some time now. Here’s one of their finest.
7. Lissie – Pursuit Of Happiness (Kid Cudi ft. MGMT & Ratatat)
Girl can sing. Girl makes this cover her own.
8. Patent Pending – Break Stuff (Limp Bizkit)
A complete departure from Limp Bizkit’s hard-hitting banger, this is oddly beautiful.
9. One Direction – Teenage Dirtbag (Wheatus)
Say what you want about One Direction, but can knock their taste.
10. Christina Grimmie – Titanium (David Guetta Ft. Sia)
You sort of root for her to nail the “I Am Titaaaanium” part. And she does. Everytime.
11. Jimmy Eat World – We Are Never Getting Back Together (Taylor Swift)
Probably not for everyone, but Jimmy Eat World fans will very much enjoy this Jersey Rock take on Taylor Swift’s ubiquitous hit.
12. So They Say – Forever Young (Rod Stewart)
I listened to this a lot during the summer I graduated high school, particularly those weeks before going off to school. Super high school.
13. Glen Hansard & Colm Maclomaire – Everytime (Britney Spears)
This song crept back into my personal rolodex after it was unexpectedly featured in a movie this year. Here’s a good cover. Spring Break Foreva.
14. Awesome Guy On YouTube – Feeling This (Blink-182)
While I’ve been putting this together, this is the song I’ve chosen to keep playing on repeat. Youtuber keezykabeezy deserves huge props for this.
15. Johnny Cash And Fiona Apple – Father And Son (Cat Stevens)
Will totes give you chills.