Mashups, now a thing, have the great ability to take to songs and sometimes make them better. Here are twelve great ones that will probably prompt you to change the way you think about everything–from how you approach music, to the method by which you put on your socks in the morning:
1. Con Te Partiro (Remix) – Notorious B.I.G vs. Andrea Bocelli
Biggie gets the classic opera treatment. Very nice.
2. Let It Be Me – The Beatles vs. Shaggy
This is kind of like when you bring your overly raunchy friend to meet your boss, whom your respect for is beyond words. Somehow, they get along incredibly well.
3. Diamond Thrones (Rihanna vs. Game Of Thrones) – The White Panda
Rihanna takes a trip to Westeros. A song as fierce as the mother of dragons.
4. Our Caribou Song (Taylor Swift vs. Tech N9ne) – Doug Bogan
Would these two be homies in real life? Ummm…
5. The End Of The World X Midnight City – Lupe Fiasco vs. M83
Lupe drops some SICK BARS on the instrumental more M83’s Midnight City. It works.
6. Stay Young, Staty Beautiful (Ke$ha vs. One Direction vs. Michael Jackson vs. Nervo vs. Steerner)
A very upbeat party jam from a dude that is a professional partier. DJ Yoni Einhorn is involved in that wildly popular I’m Shmacked college partying series.
8. Follow Running Foxes (Zedd X YoungBlood Hawke X Deniz Koyu X Wynter Gordon) – The Jane Doze
The Jane Doze is a female mashup duo based heavily in electronic stuff. Here’s one of their best, an excellent remix of Zedd & Foxes big-time hit Clarity
9. Party And Bullshit In The USA – Notorious B.I.G. + Miley Cyrus
One of the more “classic” mashups out there. Miley’s recently made some more mashup waves with an excellent Wrecking Ball + Mumford & Sons mix, that may or may not be a listen based on how your (overly STRONG) feelings about Miley.
10. Stayin’ Hot (Nelly vs. The Bee Gees) – Lobsterdust
This is the sort of mashup that could take a Wedding to the next level. Young and old, harmoniously dancing terribly.
11. Guetta’s Calling Solveig Up (David Guetta vs. Foster The People vs. Martin Solveig vs. Alesso) – Kap Slap
A potpourri of 2011 bangers, Kap Slap molded this one together with a Heisenberg-esque precision.
12. Rock In Black (ACDC x Queen x Many More) – Go Home Productions
Proof that no song is “above” a real solid mashup