1. I don’t need to wait for you. If there’s somewhere I want to go or something I want to do, I don’t have to wait for you to decide when it’s convenient for you to do it with me. I can do it myself, or with someone who does.
2. I don’t need to watch for headlights. I don’t need to wait to see if and when you’re going to show up when you said you were. Staring at an empty driveway is exhausting.
3. I don’t need to be late. It didn’t matter whether it was something important and there was never a good reason. The day of your sister’s wedding your whole family was together but you were picking out the card and getting cash out of the ATM. Without you, I can be early for everything- whether it’s a wedding or meeting friends for dinner.
4. I don’t need you to introduce me. You never did, so I learned how to introduce myself. I held so many conversations with virtual strangers- your friends and family- that now I have the confidence to approach just about anyone.
5. I don’t need you to ignore me. I was so boring compared to everything else- you saw me every day so how could I be interesting?
6. I don’t need you to tell me I’m crazy because I want to spend time with you. I’ll find someone who wants to spend time with me, too.
7. I don’t need your jealousy when I make plans with someone else because you’re not around. All I ever wanted was to share my life with you, but you were always somewhere else.
8. I don’t need you to tell me I’m ugly. That I’m wearing too much makeup or that this hair color doesn’t look good on me. I love my makeup and my hair color, and that is all that matters now.
9. I don’t need you to tell me I’m pretty. I learned how to tell myself, as well as how to believe myself. I know what does and does not make me look and feel good about myself, as much as I questioned it when I was with you.
10. I don’t need to stay up until 3 am just to drink beer. I don’t need to stay in bed while watching movies I’ve already seen. Now I can go to bed at a reasonable time and function the next day.
11. I don’t need to start my day at 2pm. I wake up and get ready in the morning and I fill my days with family and friends, fresh air and sunshine.
12. I don’t need your mom’s leftovers. This was a hard one. As delicious as they were, I know how to cook for myself.
13. I don’t need to keep track of your keys and your wallet. Just to avoid stress and anger when you need to leave to go somewhere.
14. I don’t need to do your laundry. Because you don’t feel like doing it and I’m sick of being seen with someone who looks like a bum. I don’t need you angry with me because I didn’t do your laundry right. Speaking of anger,
15. I don’t need to fight anymore. For your attention, your time, or for you to care about me.
16. I don’t need to be with anyone. Being single is not the dream or the nightmare everyone makes it out to be. It just is. And it is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I’ve learned how to be me; I’ve gained back the confidence and independence that I lost so many years ago.