It’s 11 a.m. on a Sunday and a year later and I’m wondering how you ended up here again. We said we were done, but somehow, thousands of texts later, we ended up together. If things were simple I would break up with you, but how is that even possible when technically we never dated…?
We’ve all done it — developing a relationship with someone who we know is never going to commit, and yet we give everything to play the role of the perfect significant other. The one who is so good they just have to settle down. In return, all we get is nothing.
So where is the line drawn? Somewhere between the “I hate you” and “never talk to me” texts, I have thought about never seeing you again, but then that would leave me with a tub of cookies and ice cream watching a few episodes of Pretty Little Liars. So in case you’re wondering how to get out of a relationship you were never in…
1. Don’t cave. It’s the worst thing you can do. I can stand my ground for about an hour and then once I get bored, I pretend like “it’s okay; it already happened once, right?” IT IS NOT OKAY. STOP.
2. Stop following them on Instagram. “Just because I like their picture, people will know we are like still hooking up, right?”…. NO and they don’t care that you liked their picture or how many comments you leave. Their life isn’t pretty, even in a filter, so stop.
3. Stop trying to fix it — whatever “it” is. If they wanted to date you, they would have by now. Believe it or not, it’s not that you’re not good enough or that you did something wrong. You can’t fix broken and you’re better off moving on and walking away.
4. Ignore the “did you hook up with someone else?” text. They don’t want to date you, but will be the first to judge your actions. That makes a lot of sense, right? Don’t even respond. If they wanted you to be loyal, then they should have put a “real” label on it.
5. Stop doing nice things for them. If they’re hungry at work, let them starve. If you were never worthy of being their official significant other, then why would you continue to do nice things for them? All it does is suck you back into the dark hole of maybe.