Valentine’s day is an extra ridiculous holiday and it’s silly to give it more credit than it deserves. (That being said, if my boyfriend is reading this: I will take flowers. But also, feel free to get the $5 bouquets. I can’t tell the difference anyway.) While the holiday shouldn’t hold an ounce of the emotional weight that Hollywood and Hallmark would credit it with, it does happen to fall on a Saturday this year. This means it will be even more in-your-face than usual. So, what can you do (besides going out to a fancy restaurant for dinner) to enjoy the day? Whether you’re single OR coupled up, here are my top 10 suggestions
- Indulge yourself at the spa – get a massage, some reflexology or maybe a facial. While you’re in the sauna, practice that whole gratitude thing. You’ll leave feeling spectacular.
- Organize a boozy brunch – since most V-day activities take place in the evening, grab all your friends and make a boozy brunch of it. Then, you’ll be home in time to…
- Cue the Netflix! Get nestled under the covers and put in an order for your ultimate seamless trifecta. Like maybe soup dumplings from one place, and then a ginormous order of assorted sushi and spicy salmon rolls with extra spicy mayo from another. And then, like, a cheese calzone if you happen to get high at some point during the evening and need more food. Just a suggestion.
- Make a homemade dinner for once. Filet mignon, creamed spinach, and a fine red wine will cost you a fraction of the price that you’d be paying if you went out to a restaurant.
- Watch The Vagina Monologues – and learn what V-Day is really all about.
- Have a tequila party and play Cards Against Humanity. See how inappropriate things can get.
- Call your parents! Better yet, visit them. You know, because really “they’re your first valentines” and also because free food.
- Go to the restaurants no one is going to on Valentine’s day (but are always packed otherwise) like, I don’t know, SHAKE SHACK anyone!? After all, it can be argued that there are few things more romantic than a double cheeseburger.
- Have a potluck with friends (again, singles and couples alike). Everyone brings a shareable food item and a bottle of wine and the whole team goes HAM together.
- Go to a comedy club! When in doubt, audible to live laughter. You’ll be able to enjoy a couple cocktails and find plenty of reasons to loosen up a bit. What more could you ask for?