Sometimes I want to press rewind to my 21-year-old self, but hey I’ve learned a lot these past few years and I don’t regret a thing (okay, maybe those straight bangs I got to channel my inner Zooey Deschanel — that was just a bad idea).
I never thought I’d say this, but so far I’ve had a hell of a blast being out of college. I’ve learned a few things along the way too. Naturally, mostly about wine.
1. Painting my nails is not necessarily my strong suit. However, going to get a mani is definitely something I do pretty damn well.
2. Being five minutes late is practically being on time, right?
3. Life moves on, whether you’re ready or not. It’ll keep passing you by if you don’t slow it down just a bit.
4. Time with your friends cures just about anything. Even if it is the day from hell – laughing with them, cocktails in hand is actually the remedy.
5. Move at your own pace. You’re where you are for a reason; don’t feel the need to get engaged, pop some babies out, and be an exec at work in approximately 1 year. It won’t happen.
6. Quality time with yourself should always be a #1 priority. Binge watching Netflix, in your PJs, with a glass of vino is important. If you must, add it to your to-do list. In black ink.
7. It’s okay that the ‘work you’ is different than the ‘home you.’ Even if it’s just your outfit choices.
8. Finding time to be tan is no longer on your to-do list. (Note: never be tempted to use Jergens, you will be orange.)
9. Bribing yourself with coffee stops before work is actually a normal thing.
10. When days are rough, shop. (See #4 for one hell of a bad day cure.)
11. Looking put together doesn’t necessarily mean you are put together, but hey no one else knows that.
12. Dating after college is a damn part-time job (at least, according to my girl friends).
13. Being indecisive on your cocktail-of-choice can actually be a good thing. I never knew I would’ve rekindled my love for champagne again. My sophomore-in-college-self would be proud.
14. Be picky in everything. Hey, if you don’t show some high expectations in all aspects of your life, who will? Don’t settle for friends who consider you a wiping post or boys that don’t treat you well.
15. Find something you’re passionate about and go get it. No one but yourself can stop you.