We are our own worst critics when it comes to ourselves. Giving out life advice and compliments to others is a piece of cake but when it comes to ourselves it’s just another story. Balance has always been the key. Don’t just be your worst critique but your own best friend as well by treating yourself kinder. So without further ado, here are 8 ways to be kinder towards yourself.
1. Go out for a walk. Inhale the fresh air and exhale all restrained feelings. Walk down the street with no device with you to be completely present with yourself and the environment. Be mindful and try to actually look around you to see that there are beauty and stories everywhere. Any time you feel too stressed, go out. Soak up the sunlight, smell the nature and let it calm you down before you proceed to take on life once again.
2. Make nutritious yet delicious breakfast. I know, time is limited and squeezing in more time for sleep is more tempting than to get up earlier to make breakfast. The choice is yours. It’s either having a little bit more sleep without feeling completely rested or waking up more tired but to know that you start your day in the right direction by nourishing your body, therefore your mind as well.
3. Take a deep breath every time you start to get worked up by small matters. We get annoyed or frustrated so quickly at things we cannot control. The bus got late? Take a deep breath, you are late now anyway. It’s raining but you got no umbrella? Take a deep breath, you will get wet anyway. By first taking a deep breath, your perspective on these matters will shift back and make you realize that it’s not worth the energy to get frustrated so quickly and easily. Rather, try to understand where all the frustration comes from.
4. Date yourself. Wash your face and get dressed. Go to a place that you always wanted to go but never had the chance because no one wanted to join. Go anyway by yourself. Don’t feel weirded out, it’s only natural to be completely content with yourself. You don’t need to impress anyone. You only need to learn to appreciate your own company when no one is beside you.
5. Accept compliments. Don’t wave away compliments when you receive them. Don’t reject it, simply acknowledge it by saying thank you. Stand tall and firm and receive it like a real champ! Give yourself compliments too! You will see how much of an impact it can have when you say kind words to yourself.
6. Pass it along. This comes without saying. By treating others with kindness, it actually shows how kind you are towards yourself. If others treat you badly, it’s their choice – not yours. You don’t have to become unkind just because others act like that. The only thing you can control is how you decide to react towards others.
7. Go home when you don’t feel like socializing. It isn’t about other people. If you feel like you need to be yourself and charge yourself up alone at home, then grab your coat and head home. Preserving energy for the right things is more important than to waste it away for a night you probably wouldn’t even remember. Take care of yourself first. You only miss out on when you wanted to participate in, to begin with. So don’t you worry about missing out! You didn’t even want to be there in the first place. You aren’t here to make sure everyone is having a good time. You are here to make sure YOU are having a good time.
8. Sit with yourself in silence. Productivity doesn’t always have to be in an active form. By sitting with yourself in silence without thinking about anything (which is incredibly hard), you get to rest your mind for a bit. It’s important to take a break from your mind every now and then to be able to treat yourself fully with love. Without breaks, you can’t get anything done anyway. Take a break to love and appreciate yourself better in the long run. It will certainly bear fruit, trust me!