2005 was when this show started. That is 9 years ago. These five actors made this show boundlessly likable at its best moments. Hell, they even made it mildly tolerable in its worst ones. I’m going to miss them, and I’m going to miss How I Met Your Mother’s outlook on the world.
Bays and Thomas have said the show premiered at a time when everyone was saying the sitcom was dead. They refused to believe that, insisting only that the sitcom without heart was dead. The result of that belief was a sitcom with more heart than anything else on its network. Big, romantic, ambitious, messy, silly, and sometimes beautiful, How I Met Your Mother has been peerless in its time. To those who actually haven’t really watched the show, it is essentially what the title says. It became clear though that How I Met Your Mother wasn’t exactly about how someone met the love of their life; but rather about someone hanging out with their friends while they waited to meet the love of their life. More specifically, it was just about a bunch of friends hanging out (you know, kind of like, what was it called? Friends? I think?.) And now it is all coming to an end.
There’s something sad about your favorite show ending. You’ve watched it since it first started; got into the nitty gritty of it all. Got into a weekly routine of watching it on Monday nights. You related with these characters, lived vicariously through them, learned from them, and laughed with them. As dramatic as it sounds I suppose this is what a real good TV show is supposed to do – to stir shit up in you when you watch it. And over the past couple of years How I Met Your Mother has never failed to do just that. Can it just go on forever?!!!??
But of course, all good things must come to an end…..
1. Goodbye Robin Sparkles.
2. Goodbye drinking at McLaren’s Pub almost all the time.
3. Goodbye hilariously invasive but necessary interventions.
4. Goodbye Marshmallow and Lilypad.
5. Goodbye Patrice. *In Robin’s yelling voice*
6. Goodbye butterfly tattoo.
7. Goodbye Playbook.
8. Goodbye fact about nothing good happens after 2am.
9. Goodbye Victoria, we’ll miss your cupcakes.
10. Goodbye fiero. Although we said goodbye to you already we’re just saying it again for punch.
11. Goodbye slutty pumpkin.
12. Goodbye to Barney’s endless crazy shenanigans. (Especially that Murtaugh list.)
13. Goodbye “but ummm” drinking game.
14. Goodbye Marshgammon. Even if no one knew how the game actually worked.
15. Goodbye HIMYM dopplegangers.
16. Goodbye ducky tie.
17. Goodbye Lily constantly reminiscing about “the front porch” theory.
18. Goodbye Swarly.
19. Goodbye woooooo! girls.
20. Goodbye on going series slap bet.
21. Goodbye failed and succeeded tries of “The Naked Man”.
22. Goodbye to Barny’s blog.
23. Goodbye Ted, the most relatable character in TV history.
24. Goodbye How I Met Your Mother. It was a good run.