1. “Today I finally overcame tryin’ to fit the world inside a picture frame.”
One day, you’ll realize that sometimes it’s necessary to stop worrying about what Instagram filter you’re going to use on that sunset photo, and just enjoy the sunset instead.
2. “I’m a little lost at sea, I’m a little birdie in a big ol’ tree, ain’t nobody looking for me, here out on the highway.”
Let’s be real, who hasn’t felt lost/alone/insignificant at some point in their lives?
3. “In half the time I’ll be twice my age, better learn how to turn the page, ‘cause time is strange when you’re born and raised.”
Time used to take forever when we were kids. Now the years all blend into each other as they fly by.
4. “Friends, lovers, or nothing, we can really only ever be one.”
For real though.
5. “Bad news never had good timing.”
This is pretty straightforward. There is never a “right time” to find out something bad. The most you can do is learn how to cope and adapt when you’re handed less-than-desirable information.
6. “So long, it’s over, nice to skip the chance to get to know you. Why did I think this was true? Because I wanted to.”
We’ve all tried to force ourselves to believe a relationship’s going to work out even though deep down, we know it’s not.
7. “So scared of getting older, I’m only good at being young.”
We lose a sort of safety net when we stop being kids protected by parents and teachers and morph into responsible (or allegedly responsible, anyway) adults in the real world. That’s intimidating.
8. “Somehow I can’t seem to find the quiet inside of my mind.”
It’s the middle of the night, your mind is racing, and sleep isn’t coming any time soon. If you’ve never experienced this, I’m jealous.
9. “Someday I’ll fly, someday I’ll soar, someday I’ll be so damn much more.”
It’s good to remember that no matter how stressed or #dark you might be feeling, things will turn around eventually.
10. “So good you didn’t see the nervous wreck I used to be.”
Seriously. It’s really good you didn’t see that.
11. “Might be a quarter-life crisis, or just a stirring in my soul. Still, ‘everything happens for a reason’ is no reason not to ask myself if I’m living it right.”
If you’re a 20-something, you might feel like your peers are passing you by while you’re questioning a lot of things. Did I get the right degree? Will I ever get a real job? Is it rock bottom if all I want to do is sit in bed, eat, and binge watch shows on Netflix all weekend?
12. “I could’ve met you in a sandbox, I could’ve passed you on the sidewalk. Could I have missed my chance and watched you walk away?”
I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve wondered if the guy who sat next to me on the train or held the door for me was my soul mate. Also I like to pretend life is a romantic comedy, where this would be plausible.
13. “Half of my heart’s got a grip on the situation, half of my heart takes time.”
The battle between rational and irrational thoughts/feelings plagues even the best of us at one point or another.
14. “Sometimes, I wish that I was the weather. You’d bring me up in conversation forever, and when it rained, I’d be the talk of the day.”
We’ve all hoped that the guy or girl we’re into would have us on their mind all the time, just like we have them on ours.