Revealing the gender of your baby is an exciting moment for you and all of your loved ones. In recent years, gender reveal parties have grown in popularity; inviting your friends and family to join you in celebrating if your new baby will be a little girl or boy. Whether you’re searching for gender reveal party ideas or would just like some inspiration for photo announcements, read the categories below to spark your imagination and kick off your planning!
Gender Reveal Party Checklist
- Plan a Budget: Whether you’re trying to save money or have no limits, there’s ideas and items for everyone! It’s important to know how much you want to spend so you don’t go overboard. Tip: For those on a tight budget, make DIY gender reveal crafts for party decor or games!
- Invitations: Once you know the sex of your baby, be sure to set a date and send out your invites. Think about if you want to have the reveal party and the baby shower as one event or if you want to have them separate. Then, think through theme ideas and find invites that match. There are beautiful, free templates on websites like Canva that you can print and send, or cards that you can design and order off of websites like Shutterfly.
- Party Planning: Once your invites are out and a theme is set, it’s time to decide on fun decor, party favors, games to play with your guests, and what food you’d like to have.
- The Big Reveal: Deciding how you want to reveal the gender of your baby is a key part to your party.
Party Planning: Unique Gender Reveal & Baby Shower Ideas
- Colored candy
- Sweet treats dipped in colored chocolate or frosting
- Fun cocktails that are colored according to the baby’s sex
- Appetizers, like deviled eggs, that are colored with food dye in pink or blue
- Cute toppers to add on top of cakes or cupcakes that insinuate the baby’s gender
- Cups, plates, napkins, and other dishware can be used to indicate the baby’s gender or for theme decor
- A great party idea is to have a poll going throughout the party to see whether your guests think it’s a girl or a boy. They can tally a divided chalkboard or carry around provided photo props like bow-ties or mustaches.
- Take a twist on old classics and play bobbing for pacifiers!
- There are so many fun games to play at a gender reveal party or a baby shower; be sure to browse this list curated by Pampers.
- Decor: Think through your interests and base a theme for your party. If you need some inspiration, be sure to look through Martha Stewart’s unique baby shower themes.
Unique Ideas for the Big Reveal
Whether you’re planning for your baby’s sex to be announced through a photo in the mail or through an elaborate party, here are some unique ideas to have a photo shoot with or to do at a party!
Delicious Gender Reveal Ideas:
Food brings people together like no other so, why not incorporate it into your reveal? These ideas that incorporate baked goods and various types of candy are great baby gender reveal picks that everyone can take part in.
- Have a cake or cupcake be filled with pink frosting for a girl or blue frosting for a boy. When it’s time to cut the cake or take a bite, you or your guests will get an extra sweet treat by discovering the sex of your baby! Having baked goods like a cookie or a cake pop, also functions as a great party favor for your guests to take home and enjoy.
- Hand out lollipops to your loved ones and the color that lies beneath the wrapper reveals the gender.
- Her(she)y’s or Hers(he)y’s? Color in the “she” or “he” section of a Hershey’s bar and wrap a teasing note around the surface. When it comes time, hand them out to your guests for a group unwrapping and revealing!
- Chew a piece of bubble gum and blow a bubble a large as you can with pink gum for a girl or blue gum for a boy to uncover your baby’s gender!
Creative Gender Reveal Ideas:
When thinking of your baby gender reveal, you want it to be a moment you enjoy and remember for a lifetime. Tailor your reveal to your interests to make that day extra special for you and your loved ones.
- If you’re a sports fan, there are many balls filled with confetti that you can buy and kick to reveal the gender.
- If you’re into cars, have a gender reveal burnout!
- If you’re a Harry Potter fan, have a reveal with fun potions and tricks!
- Are you a lover of words? Spell out the baby’s gender on a sign or with scrabble letters and take a photo as a sweet reveal idea.
Fun Gender Reveal Ideas:
These ideas put the “party” into gender reveal party! Add some color and celebration to your party or photo shoot with these awesome baby gender reveals.
- If you’re looking for excitement, reveal the gender through one of these classic and colorful ideas:
- Pop a confetti cannon! These small poppers are easy to find online and come with colored confetti inside them– pink confetti for a girl reveal and blue confetti for a boy reveal.
- Play with colorful smoke! Similar to the confetti cannon, having pink smoke or blue smoke billow around you at your reveal is an exciting way to uncover your baby’s gender.
- Hit a pinata! We all remember how much fun it was to whack a pinata when we were younger and have candy spraying out around us. Do this at your reveal party by having the pinata explode with pink confetti or blue confetti depending on the gender of your baby.
- Drop a bath bomb in water and watch it explode pink or blue.
- Spray colored silly string! Silly string is easy to find at your local party store. Think of how fun would it be to have a silly string fight with your loved ones to reveal the sex of your baby!
- A fun way to uncover the gender is to release balloons from a gender reveal box. If it’s a , a balloon can be released and if it’s a , a can be released.
- Fill balloons with paint and have guests throw darts until they pop, expose the colored paint inside, and uncover the baby’s gender!
Adorable Gender Reveal Ideas:
These baby gender reveals are too cute! They are the perfect way to capture a wholesome moment with family that you will always remember.
- If you’re more on the sentimental side, a cute gender reveal idea is to burn a gender reveal candle or release paper lanterns that are colored either pink for a girl or blue for a boy.
- For sweet photos, the perfect gender reveal is to have your other children or your pets hold a sign revealing that they’re going to have a new sister or brother.
Virtual Gender Reveal Ideas:
A great gender reveal party idea if you can’t have all of your loved ones near or want to be more budget-friendly, is to host a virtual gender reveal! There are so many programs now that allow us to call our friends and relatives via video chat. Download a program like Zoom, call those you want to share your reveal with, and use the ideas below to have a good time!
- Create a fun back drop to display behind you for your video call. Think of this as your party decor!
- Record the reactions of those who attend.
- Have you and your guests dress in pink if they think it’s a girl or blue if they think it’s a boy.
- Play with fun backdrops on your video chatting software.
- Reveal the gender however way you choose from the list above because the great thing about video chatting is that it can capture almost anything!
Commonly Asked Questions:
Question: As a party guest, should you bring a gift to a gender reveal party?
Answer: Gifts for the baby should be brought to the baby shower. If the couple is having two separate parties, one for the reveal and one for the shower, bring the baby’s gifts to the shower. However, if the parties are being held together, try to buy a toy or gift that is gender neutral. It’s also a great idea to bring a gift for the expecting parents to the reveal, such as cute mugs labeled “mom” or “dad”, or things of that nature.
Question: Are baby showers and gender reveal parties the same thing?
Answer: Not for all couples. Some may want to hold one party to celebrate both, some may want to only reveal the gender through a card or photo announcement, some may want to throw a party for both occasions. It depends on the couple and their plans.
Tip: If you’re planning on throwing a gender reveal party and/or a baby shower, be sure to let your guests know whether the parties will be separate or together so they know how to plan for the event(s).